Some people waste their money on long-term storage they really don’t need, but sometimes storage is the best solution. How do you know the difference? Here are some valid reasons to store your things locally:
1. Extra space. Space in New York is expensive. It may be more cost-effective to rent a storage unit rather than a larger apartment.
2. Staging a move. Moving companies in Brooklyn are often unable to hold your belongings on a moving truck. If your new place might not be ready when you move, you should rent a storage unit as an in-between.
3. Selling a home. It is easiest to sell your home if it is free of clutter. You can put personal belongings in storage while you are showing your home.
4. Redecorating. Storage allows you to clear out a room that needs serious remodeling.
5. Off-season items. A small storage unit can be useful for seasonal items such as coats or sports equipment.
6. Moving to a smaller home. Most full service moving companies will drop off your essential items at your new home and place your non-essentials in a storage unit. This allows you time to figure out what you want in your new home, and what you can part with.
7. Clearing an estate. You may not be ready to go through inherited belongings. Storage is a valid way to buy time until you are ready to face that task.
8. Excess stock. For businesses, renting storage may be cheaper than leasing a larger warehouse space, especially for temporary stock. Business moving companies can usually offer small businesses good deals on storage plans.
9. Not enough office space. Storing archived paperwork and excess office supplies is often a cheaper option than renting a larger office.
10. Leaving the city for a temporary time period. Students, military, and travelers often find themselves having to leave the city for a predetermined length of time. If you know you will return to New York it may be best to keep your stuff in storage during that time.
11. Storing valuables/collectables. If you have valuable paintings or collectables that you do not keep on display at your house you may want to use a fully secured, climate controlled storage facility to protect your belongings. Moving and packing companies can help determine the best way to prepare delicate items for long-term storage.
For many people, storage is not a necessity. For some, however, it makes life easier and is cheaper than other options. Using this list will help you determine if you should begin looking for storage.