12 Things To Do In Your New Home
Moving to a new home is stressful even when it is a well-thought-out and positive choice. There is much to plan and arrange, deadlines to meet, and moving companies in Brooklyn to research. We often find ourselves standing in empty rooms thinking, “What now?” This is perfectly normal, considering that you are making a huge life change. Remember that good organization is the key to a successful move. So, start planning your relocation well in time. Make a list of things you should be doing before, during, and after the move. Read on and find out how to ensure a smooth move and what are some of the things do to in your new home after relocation.
Find reliable movers
The first piece of advice refers to the moving process itself – ensure that the move is easy and stress-free, so when you get to your lovely new home you can focus on the next twelve tips below. Whether you are moving locally in Brooklyn, to a new state, or internationally, find a good moving company.
Reliable movers New York can greatly facilitate and accelerate the move. The moving market is well-developed in New York and there are numerous moving companies. However, make sure you do thorough research before you choose one. Visit specialized moving websites, check companies’ reviews and ratings, and read previously submitted comments. Checking moving and packing companies’ online reputations is extremely important. Find out if they have a reputation of integrity, security, and on-time delivery? Also, make sure your movers are experienced, well-trained, and licensed. If you hire a company that is not licensed you risk being a victim of moving fraud.
A full-service moving company can even help you prepare and pack your belongings. They will provide moving boxes Brooklyn, quality moving supplies, and handle your things with care. Professional movers know proper packing techniques so you can rest assured your things are in good hands. Also, another big advantage of hiring professionals is the fact that you won’t have to do all the heavy lifting. Bear in mind that moving injuries such as strained back and sprained ankles are quite common, especially if you are an inexperienced mover.
Here are things to do in your new home
- The first thing to do is to celebrate. People are often so busy with the move and with the gazillion things they need to do that they often forget to celebrate the moment. So the very first thing to do is to smile, celebrate a new home. Here’s from us at U. Santini: CONGRATULATIONS! We wish you the very best in your new home!
- Call the new utility companies and service providers. Hopefully, the service name has been transferred already but it is important to verify this. In addition, ensure service is in your name to avoid potential liability. This also allows you to check what date the bills will come due, when the garbage is picked up, etc.
- Gather the family and put together an Emergency Action Plan. Walk through your new home and decide on escape routes in case of fire, tornado, earthquake, or other natural disasters. Be specific and plan for weather that is common for your region.
- Create a first aid and emergency kit. Include phone numbers for your new neighborhood police and fire departments as well as 911.
- Locate off switches and circuit breakers. Also, show everyone in the household how to use them.
Six more things to do in your new home
- Check for smoke detectors and verify the batteries are charged. Test the detector. Do not go to bed without working smoke detectors in your new home. This will ensure your and your family’s safety.
- Contact creditors, magazines, and other involved parties. Give them your new address to avoid delays.
- Conduct a deep cleaning of all surfaces. Even if the new place has been cleaned, many hands have touched surfaces and furniture.
- Change the door locks. If you are renting, most landlords will allow this at your own expense. The peace of mind is well worth the cost.
- Send your new contact address and telephone number to everyone on your personal contact list. Include a photo of your new home for friends and family.
- Go grocery shopping and stock the refrigerator with easy-to-prepare foods such as sandwich fixings. This will come in very handy in the first few days, as you are still getting used to the new house, where you keep everything, new neighborhood, etc.
- Install window coverings if they are not already up. Privacy is important and this will help you avoid curious neighbors or potential thieves.
The moving process can be very tiring and stressful. It involves many moving activities. And, as you can see, it doesn’t end on a moving day. There are many tasks that you need to complete after you transfer belongings to your new home. We have made a list of 12 things to do in the new home that can help you get organized. Try to do as much as you possibly can in advance, so that you wouldn’t have to deal with everything at the same time. For example, contact the utility company and change the locks before the big day. Also, ask your friends and family to help you. The process can feel somewhat overwhelming, but you don’t have to do everything on your own. Finally, choose a reliable and experienced moving company to help you plan and realize the move. Moving professionals can handle every aspect of relocation and make sure everything goes as planned. Once all of these things are done, you can relax a bit and enjoy this new chapter in your life. Start arranging and decorating your new place to suit your unique style and explore your new neighborhood.
Frequently Asked Questions
U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn has built its reputation on honesty and transparency. We are here to answer all your questions and put your mind at ease when choosing our Brooklyn movers:
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday 7:30 AM–5 PM but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini offer insurance?
Yes. Our company offers several different types of insurance protection, including a full replacement for your belongings. The cost of the coverage will depend on the value you declare for your goods and the level of deduction you select.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It is recommended to arrange for the services of a moving company at least 8 weeks ahead of your planned move. If you plan to move during the holiday season or in the summer, it is advisable to schedule the move 12 weeks in advance. However, for moves that occur between September and May, you may be able to book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. Ideally, you should secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the necessary information about your relocation.
Does your company offer packing supplies?
We do. In addition to providing you with the essential boxes and packing supplies required for your relocation, we offer several "Saver" packages tailored to the size of your home. If you do not use all the boxes you have bought, you can return them to the moving team at the end of your move, and we will reimburse the remaining amount.
What type of storage does your company offer?
U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn provides comprehensive storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are supervised round-the-clock, ensuring the safety of your belongings, whether you store them for a short or long duration. Additionally, we offer storage services for very brief periods, including as little as 24 hours.