12 Things to do in your old house, before you move
Are you wondering what are the things to do in your old house before you move? Before we jump into it, we need to say a few words about moving in general. By now, you probably know that moving is considered to be one of the most stressful and toughest tasks in the world for a person. It requires a lot of good planning and organization. Also, you need to follow certain steps when moving. Unless you do so, things can get very hectic, exhausting, and challenging. Believe us, with everything that’s going on, that’s the last thing you want to experience. Because of that, there are a few steps that you need to do before you start thinking about moving. Here, we are going to share with you what do you need to do before you move to the new house.
Make the plan
The very first thing you need to do is you have to make a plan. That’s something that most people tend to overlook for some reason and it’s very important. They probably don’t do it because they think that it takes way too much time or that it’s not necessary at all. Actually, by making a plan you are going to save plenty of time and it’s going to keep you focused on everything that’s about to come. Besides that, you can also make a to-d0 list that can help track the tasks you have to do as well as to have more insight into the progress you’re making. On the other hand, if you don’t feel like doing it on your own or simply don’t have enough time on your hands, you should seek professional movers. We highly recommend movers in Brooklyn since they are experienced experts.
Gather essential packing materials, start packing start finishing up things in your old house
After making a plan, the next thing you need to worry about is packing. Make sure to gather essential packing supplies in order to keep your belongings safe during the relocation. One of the most common reasons why something gets damaged is because it’s poorly packed. Invest some time and money and don’t worry about them. If you need any kind of assistance, make sure to contact moving and storage NYC. Check out all the services that they offer besides moving. Here, we are going to list 12 steps you need to follow in order to have a smooth and carefree relocation to the new place.
12 things to do in your old house
1. Let go of excess clothing and other items. We tend to hold onto things we don’t need and really do not even want. Have a yard or garage sale and clear out the clutter. Sell more expensive items on eBay or some other website. Donate clothing that is not suitable for the new climate or just is seldom worn anymore. If you haven’t worn a piece in the last year, it is not likely that you will wear it again, so let go of it. Another thing you can do is you can look up storage companies NYC and rent a storage unit. That way you’ll declutter the house and keep possessions you don’t want to throw away.
2. Schedule utilities to be connected at the new place and disconnected at the old locations. This is a vital step that will save you stress, money and will increase the comfort factor tremendously. A full-service moving company can even take care of those chores for you and free your time for other things.
3. Label boxes well, even listing items inside. At the very least, note the room location they will be going to such as “Master Bedroom” or “Bathroom.” Listing the contents will assist you in locating necessary items such as the coffeemaker or cups and utensils. For-hire movers and packers do this and can offer great advice even if you are doing a lot of this yourself.
What about cleaning?
4. Deep-clean every room starting weeks in advance, painting if necessary. Scrub walls, floors, countertops, and inside cupboards. Landlords often look for reasons to withhold the security deposit. Carpets can be cleaned and then covered with throw rugs or plastic sheeting. Professional packing services sometimes offer this service so you unroll a fresh, clean carpet in the new home.
Decluttering is one of the things to do in your old house
5. Start packing well in advance. Decorations and accessories can be removed and packed up weeks, even months before the move. Full-service moving companies sell boxes, tape, and packing materials. Sometimes they even have recycling options after the move. Also, don’t forget about the benefits of decluttering.
6. Eat down the pantry and refrigerator. Get creative and use this food which is expensive so it is not thrown out. You do not want to move perishables anyway so enjoy the bounty.
7. Take photos of the old place before you begin packing up. These will not only provide fond memories later but will be a reminder of how furniture was arranged and of favorite colors and accessories.
8. Visit the neighbors. Take cookies and sit awhile. Let them know they were a valuable part of your life and you will never forget them.
9. Remove all trash and debris on the last day. You want to be remembered as someone who has ethics and values. Leave the place looking its best.
10. Throw a party. This can be a packing party where friends help to pack boxes and load trucks. Let them work hard then treat them to a meal at a favorite restaurant or hangout.
11. Schedule a walkthrough with the landlord and take notes during the conversation. Have him or her sign off on your paperwork. This will prevent an unethical person from inventing damage reports.
12. Ensure all locks are working properly. You do not want to be held responsible for damage if someone enters through a defective door or unlocked area after you have vacated the property.
Have a smooth move
With these things to do in your old house, plan your move and be prepared for an easy, smooth changeover from one home to the next. Create an atmosphere of excitement, not exhaustion. We are sure that you are going to have a memorable, enjoyable, and fun moving experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.