Moving to a new home can be fun and does not have to be a stressful event, rather, it should be a joyful experience. Careful planning takes the guess work out and turns it into an exciting adventure. Here are some great tips to make your next move a smooth success.
1. Let go of excess clothing and other items. We tend to hold onto things we don’t need and really do not even want. Have a yard or garage sale and clear out the clutter. Sell more expensive items on eBay or some other website. Donate clothing that is not suitable for the new climate or just is seldom worn anymore. If you haven’t worn a piece in the last year, it is not likely that you will wear again, so let go of it.
2. Schedule utilities to be connected at the new place and disconnected at the old locations. This is a vital step that will save you stress, money and will increase the comfort factor tremendously. A full service moving company can even take care of those chores for you and free your time for other things.
3. Label boxes well, even listing items inside. At the very least, note the room location they will be going to such as “Master Bedroom” or “Bathroom.” Listing the contents will assist you in locating necessary items such as the coffeemaker or cups and utensils. For-hire movers and packers do this and can offer great advice even if you are doing a lot of this yourself.
4. Deep-clean every room starting weeks in advance, painting if necessary. Scrub walls, floors, countertops and inside cupboards. Landlords often look for reasons to withhold the security deposit. Carpets can be cleaned and then covered with throw rugs or plastic sheeting. Professional packing services sometimes offer this service so you unroll a fresh, clean carpet in the new home.
5. Start packing well in advance. Decorations and accessories can be removed and packed up weeks, even months before the move. Full service moving companies sell boxes, tape and packing materials. Sometimes they even have recycle options after the move.
6. Eat down the pantry and refrigerator. Get creative and use this food which is expensive so it is not thrown out. You do not want to move perishables anyway so enjoy the bounty.
7. Take photos of the old place before you begin packing up. These will not only provide fond memories later but will be a reminder of how furniture was arranged and of favorite colors and accessories.
8. Visit the neighbors. Take cookies and sit a while. Let them know they were a valuable part of your life and you will never forget them.
9. Remove all trash and debris on the last day. You want to be remembered as someone who has ethics and values. Leave the place looking its best.
10. Throw a party. This can be a packing party where friends help to pack boxes and load trucks. Let them work hard then treat them to a meal at a favorite restaurant or hangout.
11. Schedule a walkthrough with the landlord and take notes during the conversation. Have him or her sign off on your paperwork. This will prevent an unethical person from inventing damage reports.
12. Ensure all locks are working properly. You do not want to be held responsible for damage if someone enters through a defective door or unlocked area after you have vacated the property.
With these suggestions in mind, plan your move and be prepared for an easy, smooth changeover from one home to the next. Create an atmosphere of excitement, not exhaustion.