Starting to plan your next move? This is probably the right time to check out all of your options for performing your move. Would you like to do everything yourself? Do you prefer that someone else do the packing for you? Are you prepared to drive a rental truck cross country? Would you like someone to do the heavy lifting for you? Answering these questions will help you determine the amount of effort and the amount of money that you will need to invest in your move. These are the options that you can choose from:
- Hire a good moving company
- Rent a truck, pack and move your belongings yourself
- Use a container moving company
- Hire a moving company for a partial move
- Hire a professional packing crew
- Share a truck with other self movers
1) Hire a good moving company – This will be your best guarantee of having a stress free professional moving experience. A professional, A+ BBB rated moving company will ensure that you will have a stress free professional moving experience. Research all the moving companies that you are considering for the job. Get personal recommendations from friends and family members. Check the company’s BBB rating, Yelp reviews, Google+ page etc, to learn what other clients say about the service. When you finally choose a moving company – make sure that you get a written binding estimate for your move’s cost. A good moving company with impeccable reputation will note hesitate to give you a a guaranteed price for its services.
2) Rent a truck, pack and move your belongings yourself – This is probably the most cost efficient and labor intensive way to move your belongings. In this situation you probably will need to beg friends and family members to help you pack and move your belongings from one place to the other. If you are moving within the same metropolitan area, you can probably mooch off your friends for help unloading the truck in the new destination. If you plan to drive a cross country, than you either need friends and family in your new destination to help you unload, or you might need to consider hiring a moving crew to unload the truck into your new apartment. Research the market before making a final decision to do everything yourself. Most truck rental companies have a minimum of three days on truck rental and that might make it less economical for moves that can be done in one day. If you intend to move across country, than you need to factor in the cost of gas, food, tolls and insurance to the price of the truck rental. Only use this method if you are absolutely sure that the overall cost of doing a “self move” is considerably cheaper than other options.
3) Use a container moving company – Container moving is a relatively new type of service in the moving and storage industry. It is a way of moving on your own without having to drive a truck in crowded city streets or a cross country. Container moving companies will drop a container in front of your property at a designated date. At this point it is up to you to pack your belongings and load them into the container. After you have done this labor intensive part of the work, you call the container company and they will come and pick up the container. The containers are either driven directly to your new home, or into storage, if you are not ready to receive the container in your new place yet. This type of service allows you to save on the hourly fees you will usually pay movers to pack and load the truck for you, and unload it in the destination. You invest labor and sweat in your move and save some money compared to a traditional moving service. Be aware that you still need to get/buy packing materials, purchase insurance for the move and pay all the fees the container company might charge in addition to the container rental and delivery. this option might work best for young people with small loads, and a relatively simple move.
4) Hire a moving company for a partial move – Some companies offer a partial moving experience to their clients. They provide a truck and a driver – You do all the rest. In this situation, You contract a company to supply a truck and a driver on a designated day. At thsi point, you should have all of your boxes packed, all of your furniture disassembled, if needed. All fragile and delicate furniture pieces protected by moving pads and have a crew ready and waiting to load the truck. After loading the truck, the driver will drive it to the destination address, where you will need to unload the truck. It is similar to the container company option, but do not offer the time window for loading and unloading. Typically, you will need to load the truck the same day it arrives at your current address and unload it the same day it arrives at your new address. All the fuel, tolls, insurance and other fees applies. Having a professional driver, saves you the stress of driving a heavy vehicle on your own.
5) Hire a professional packing crew – Hiring a professional packing team is probably one of the best compromises between having a full fledged moving company and doing a “self service” move. Packing is the most labor intensive part of any move and most people tend to under-estimate the amount of time, labor and packing materials involved in packing a typical home. Hiring a team of packers allows you the freedom to decide what you want to pack yourself and what you want the professionals to do for you. It can be from a few boxes of expensive china and electronics to a full pack and unpack for your move. Any professional moving company will have an available packing team for your move and will provide you with a written estimate for the cost of packing and packing materials. Make sure that the packers protect every piece of furniture that you intend to move. Any unprotected sofa, desk, chest of drawers etc, will not make it unharmed even on a small, intercity move, if it is not well protected. Expensive furniture must be carefully wrapped and padded before loading into the moving truck.
6) Share a truck with other “self movers” – If you have a small load and need to move long distance, it might prove expensive to move with a long distance moving company. All long distance movers have a minimum they charge for an long distance move. If your shipments fall way below this minimum, it might make sense for you to share a truck with other in your situation. Some people post ads on boards such as Craigs list and actively look to share a truck with a few people moving to the same area. It is easier to find “moving partners” in the summer time when many people are moving. Look for ads in the moving and storage section. Start your own hunt for partners if you can’t find any trucks going in your direction. When you do arrange a full truck load to your destination, make sure that all your items are itemized, photographed and numbered in such a way that they are easy to identify and unload when the time comes. Make all loading, unloading and payment arrangements before renting the truck. This is not the safest way to ship your belongings, but it can work if you find the right partners.
About U. Santini moving and storage: