Tips on finding the perfect moving company, how to pack your things, all you need to know about relocation to NYC… All nice and grand, but worth little if you’re doing something you shouldn’t be. So, what’s left for you to do in order to avoid such a fate? Well, simple enough – understand your enemy in order to defeat him. Or in moving terms – get familiar with common Brooklyn moving mistakes and learn how to best avoid them. And thus you will ensure a stress-free relocation to Kings County. Continue reading “Brooklyn moving mistakes and how to avoid them”
The night is dark and full of terrors, and so are the streets of Brooklyn. And the journey to hire a good and reliable relocation professional in Kings County is quite demanding and perilous. There are tasks that demand ones attention – finding the companies, researching them with the utmost focus, interviewing them and finally making the call to hire one of them. And among all this, one skill will come in handy – being knowledgeable on how to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers.
Obtaining the knowledge needed to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers
If you were living in a small town, avoiding moving scams would be easy. There wouldn’t be any because everyone knows everyone. However, this is not the case here. Given the size of Brooklyn alone (not to mention NYC), the number of professional moving companies is much higher. And as such, it can be more challenging to not step into a scam-mover. Fortunately, there are signs to help raise alert, help you identify and avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers. After all, it’s much easier to avoid something if you know what it is you are trying to avoid.
Companies offering much lower estimates than the competition
It’s good to have competitive prices, depending on the size of the market being covered, but there’s a limit to that. If twenty companies in Brooklyn are offering same or similar prices and then one offers half the price, something is off. This is one of the most basic tricks that deceitful movers use to attract customers. Of course, the other side of the coin is that the relocation company might be young and needs to attract customers. But if you see an offer standing out from the rest, thread carefully.
Movers unwilling to make house calls before providing an estimate.
When you are looking to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn moving companies, you always have to be on the lookout. How can you trust someone who will give you an estimate over the phone without even stopping by to confirm what they are moving? It’s simple – you can’t. True, if the move is residential and smaller, there might not be a need for a house call. But it is still a signature mark of a professional Brooklyn moving company to offer or check such things. So this would be another way to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers – ask for an on-site estimate. If they refuse, you should consider their services carefully.
Mystery is fun but not something you want in a professional relocation company
Hiring a Brooklyn mover means handing over your personal and valued belongings to someone you do not know. And this means that you need to put a face and information on that someone. If you come across a Brooklyn mover without the following, fraud is in the air:
- An official website – true, not all companies might have websites, but we live in a modern age where it’s as simple as having a phone.
- Contact information or specific address – how can you trust a company which has no address or the most basic information about them (About Us section).
- Reviews/comments from previous customers – with or without technology, reviews play a big role – they always have. You would rather go with a more expensive company if a friend recommended them than a cheaper untested one.
These are all basic details that a company should have. Otherwise, you are looking at foggy movers, which we aim to avoid here.
Making a first round scan and selection of Brooklyn professional movers
Now that you know what to pay attention to, time to go out and find yourself a bunch of movers. When you gather a list of potential professional Brooklyn relocation companies, time to do some selection. Since we are talking about NYC, the list will be quite large. So the first thing you should do is apply the previously mentioned red flags to your list of movers. Once you do, you should be left with significantly less companies to deal with. This in turn will raise your chances to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers
Reaching out to the top ten Brooklyn relocation companies on your list
Choice narrowed, but you should still have several companies to choose from. No worries, now comes the advanced filtering part. Now, this is one of the crucial steps, so your focus needs to be high. The manner in which the conversation with the rep goes can help you identify potential frauds. To start off, fraudulent moving companies won’t bother to optimize their website with additional tools such as a cost calculator. Next thing – even though Brooklyn residents are specific in their own way, professionalism and soft-skills are important, as they build customer confidence. So do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you have in regards to the services being offered. This is a sure way to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers as not all of them will be willing or able to answer all questions you might have.
Next marker to pay attention to is if the company is asking for payment to be made in advance. This always poses a risk, since the mover can turn out to be a no-show or even worse – they pack everything up and you never see any of your stuff again. So go as far as paying a partial advance, and keep the rest until the job is done. And of course, make sure that everything is documented and a contract signed as backup.
Making a face-to-face meeting with the Brooklyn moving company
Legitimate moving companies will always want to make a house-call to get an estimate of the work and moving costs. So have the top movers from your list stop by to have a look-around and gather the total tally. This offers a chance for you to get a feel for who you’re dealing with, as well as go further into the moving details. Be sure to ask about any additional costs and terms and to once again verify the information gathered about the company.
Most scam-companies will be looking to conduct their business over the phone and will look to avoid stopping by. Also, in case their offer is flat out one price, without any negotiations or additional terms, be on the lookout.
Having a backup plan is always recommended
At the end of the day, you need to understand that you always have options. The market being as large as it is, there are countless companies all over Brooklyn, and you should never feel dependent on any single one. So our advice would be to have a primary and secondary backup choice for your moving company. Consider everything we mentioned previously, go through it once again for both choices and you should be just fine. The most important goal here should be to avoid fraudulent Brooklyn movers. And as a result, you will have secured your peace of mind for your relocation to Kings County.
Self-storage packing is considered both an art and a science of sorts. Making the effort to conduct it right can ensure not only a smooth Brooklyn relocation but it can also help avoid damage and injury. In addition to everything, good packing will help have all your things sorted out and accessible. And most importantly, proper storage packing and organization will preserve your belongings. It will make them last longer – without suffering any damages due to mold, dust and other weapons of time. So in case you are at a loss for steps to take, why not accept some experienced and professional advice from someone who’s been there.
Brooklyn self-storage packing guidelines to live by
To start things off, take a deep breath and relax. When you know that you have a whole lot of stuff that need to be moved, your first instinct will be simply packing — but don’t. Before you undergo your storage packing process, it would be smart to take a step back and do some planning. Taking inventory of everything you plan to store is a great first step. Simply walk your mind through all the items that you plan on putting into your self-storage unit for easy access later. If it’s easier, you can put it all down on a piece of paper. Once you’ve done that, you can move on to the self-storage tips and tricks detailed below.
NYC self-storage packing preparations
Given how frantic life in the big city can be, organization is a life-saver. So here are some sound steps to follow when preparing items for self-storage packing:
- Organize and pack in a systematic and practical manner, so that you can easily locate whichever of them you may need at a given moment. This should also ensure easy access to any items or boxes if done properly.
- Proofing and protection against dust, dirt, moisture and any other eventual harm. Given that we are talking about valuables here, it never hurts to take that extra mile to ensure safety. This especially goes for long-term storage (more on that later).
Achieving this might look bothersome and hard, but it can be quite easy. Not sure? Just follow some simple yet highly effective NYC self-storage packing tips:
- make sure the items you pack for storage are thoroughly cleaned.
- larger things should be dissembled and packed in single boxes to better protect each individual part and keep everything organized.
- use quality packing materials,
- provide sufficient padding,
- fill the boxes completely and seal them nice and tight.
*In addition to the general rules mentioned above, bear in mind that each and every item has its own specifics you should take into account before preparing it for storage.
How to pack and organize boxes for depository
The time has come to start packing for storage. Remember, the goal is to maximize the use of your storage space while at the same time protecting your valuables.
- So why don’t you start by grouping all your frequently-used items together. You will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit.
- Utilize empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances. Cleaning the appliances out first goes without saying. Dresser drawers are a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CD’s. Remember to leave that drawer open a little so that air can circulate. Also, put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans.
- Disassemble furniture and appliances. Don’t forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. In case a table can’t be broken down, don’t forget to store items underneath and on top.
By following these self-storage tips you can avoid clutter and maximize space. And once you’ve done this, it comes down to filling out the storage.
Self-storage packing – how best to organize your NYC depot
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Before all else, make a general plan of how you will place the boxes and furniture inside your storage unit:
- Cover the floor of your storage unit with canvas tarp or plastic sheeting to keep moisture away from your belongings.
- Leave some airspace between your stored items and the walls of the storage unit to ensure good ventilation.
- Leave a passage through the middle of the stored items for easier access to your belongings.
- Heavier boxes go first and bottom.
Remember – the goal is to ensure your possessions will be in perfect condition when you decide to take them out of storage.
Short-term vs. long-term Brooklyn self-storage packing
Even though the self-storage principle is quite wide-ranged in Brooklyn and you can’t really go wrong, there are things to consider. For starters, you need to identify personal goals and objectives – primarily to ensure proper and organized storage packing. Storing stuff for one month and one year are two very different things, not to mention storing for a decade or two. And this goes double in case we are talking about sensitive and potentially expensive belongings. Long-term storage packing is different from short-term storage packing, and knowing the difference before you load everything up can save you time, money, and potentially damaged possessions.
Packing a short-term storehouse
This would be a term used when your items will be kept in a storage unit for less than three months at a time. These would be some basic guidelines to follow when opting for short-term storage packing:
- Dust covers can act as a good replacement for more intensive packing for short-term storage. Given that there isn’t as much time for dirt to settle and moisture to seep in, you may be able to cover large pieces of furniture with a cloth and you’re in the safe zone.
- Split the sea of boxes in the middle of your storage unit. The fact of the matter is that you’ll be coming and going within a short space of time. So you want to be able to get in and out quickly enough, without moving boxes to find your way through. Pack and arrange items against the wall and use the vertical space, leaving a walk-through clear. This way you’ll have whatever you might need at your disposal.
- Always treat stuff with care, especially fragile items. No matter if we’re talking short-term storage or long-term storage; fragile items always need extra care. In fact, they may just need more when it comes to short-term storage. Given they are being moved around more often, it’s important to protect them against breaking or shifting.
Self-storage packing for the long run
A way to go with when you need to keep items safely stowed for any length of time beyond three months. So make the most out of long-term storage packing by following these simple guidelines:
- Avoid plastic bags. Even though you might think plastic is effective against water, the truth is quite the opposite. By trapping humidity and moisture, plastic can actually speed up the molding process.
- Acquire sturdy boxes. We know, we know – free stuff is awesome, and why waste money on buying sturdy and single size moving boxes? Well, they will be easier to stack and access for one. And your items will be safer over longer periods of time for two.
- Treating fragile items with care. Not to repeat ourselves, but this is an important step, no matter the type of storage. And the best way of doing this would be with the help of bubble wrap and/or newspaper. Another thing – make sure to mark these boxes and store them separately from the others.
- Seal clothes and fabrics. Vacuum-sealed bags are great for storing wardrobe—and can help protect against damages. If you plan on keeping clothes in storage, investing in these would be the smart way to go.
- Long-term appliance storage. Make sure to always wipe down the interiors well (we advise using baking soda or bleach). Mold on appliances can spread to other items in storage easily, so make sure that everything is wrapped up tight.
- Use storage pallets (which you can often get for free from home improvement stores). Getting boxes and furniture off the ground helps prevent against damages and keeps the air moving.