6 tips for moving in winter time. A guide to moving in Winter
If you read our blog post about “What is the best time to move your home” than you know that moving in winter is much cheaper than moving in any other season. If you want to save money – This is the time to move! But, moving in winter comes with its own set of challenges and issues and it is better to be prepared. Here, at U. Santini moving and storage, we have been moving New Yorkers for more than eighty years and in every conceivable weather condition. We have probably done more blizzard moves than some of our competitors total number of moves.
Here are six tips from us on how you can prepare and execute a successful winter move in New York City.
1. Check the weather frequently – Check the weather reports in the weeks and days before the move. New York winters are fickle and can change from mild to severe weather very quickly. Set a weather alert on your cell phone, set up a Google weather alert on your browser and watch the weather reports constantly. If it seems that there is bound to be a storm on your move day, try to change the date if possible. If not possible, verify that your moving company will be able to get to you and perform the move during the storm. Keep an eye on traffic reports and plan alternative ways to get to your new place. Some roads might be unploughed or blocked with buried or stalled vehicles. Try to avoid small roads that often go unploughed by the municipality during the first or second day of a storm.
2. Clear the snow from the sidewalk – Make sure the sidewalk is cleared in front of your current home and, if you are moving in the same city, in front of your new residence. It is always a good idea to visit your new home one day before the move and clear the sidewalk. Use salt or sand to keep the sidewalk free of snow. contract the building super, if possible, to clean the sidewalk on the day of the move. If you are moving to another city or another state, than talk to your real estate agent or property manager and have them clean the sidewalk on the day of the move.
3. Dress warmly – This sounds like an obvious choice, but many people tend to under-dress on moving day, preferring to have more freedom of movement and reducing the chance of overheating. The best way to avoid these issues is to dress in layers. Shed clothing when you start to overheat, step into a heated space for loading or unloading and moving between heated and cold spaces. Sometimes, it makes sense to open a window in your apartment in order to get some balance between the inside and outside temperatures. Add or remove layers of clothing in a warm, non drafty space. It is easy to get hurt or get sick on a winter moving day. Stay healthy by being smart and prepared!
4. Move your pets separately – Moving excited and stresses pets on your moving day might be a little too much for sensitive animals. It is better to board them for the day and get them into the new place after the move is over. Even big, friendly dogs and cat can get between your, or the movers legs and create havoc on a day that is prone to accidents. Don’t forget that during moving day, the doors of your apartment and building stays open for long periods of time which gives the excited pets additional opportunities to disappear and delay your moving day timeline.
If you have to move your pets on the same day as your move, tan we suggest that you move them last. Lock your pet in a small room in your current apartment, or in the bathroom and come back to pick them up after the move is over and all of your boxes were unloaded in your new apartment. Your pet will be less stressed in your new home because it will be filled with familiar objects and odors. Making the move easier for them, and for you.
5. Keep everything clean – the snow might dampen some of your boxes or furniture pieces. Make sure that you have paper towels or other materials to clean and wipe your property. Damp boxes can ruin whatever is inside and wet furniture is more sensitive to temperature changes than dry furniture. Moving your belongings in your building corridors will definitely leave puddles, dirt and salt in your new building’s hallways. Make sure you have cleaning materials in you intend to clean after the overs yourself. Pay the super to clean after you if you want to concentrate on unpacking and getting back to normal life in your new place. Either way, take care of the winter mess you created and start your relationship with your new neighbors in a positive way.
6. Hire a professional moving company – Moving is always hard. Moving in winter time is much harder…. Reduce your moving risk by hiring a trusted moving and storage company that can move your belonging safely in any weather. When you hire a moving company, like U. Santini moving and storage, you are assured that experienced professionals will take care of your belongings and that your move has a much better chance of being successful and incident free.
Whichever time you choose for moving, consider the advantages of getting a professional moving company like U.Santini moving and storage to help you. Hiring professional movers, especially a trusted moving company like U.Santini moving and storage is a sure-fire way to have your move go smoothly and on budget. We have been in business more than eighty years and have moved tens of thousands of satisfied customers. If you think your move is complex and hard to execute, we probably did a similar one to it in the past. A trusted moving company like U.Santini moving and storage will save you money by providing excellent moving service at an affordable price and a professional attitude.
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.