So the day for your relocation to Brooklyn has finally come! Cheers! So much planning has gone into this, so many checklists, contracts and budget calculations. Everyone knows their roles and what they should do. And there is no doubt that everything will go as planned. Even if it doesn’t, you surely have a contingency plan and are prepared for every situation that might arise. Starting with choosing the top moving company in Brooklyn. But there is someone that doesn’t have the ability to take care of itself – your pet…or even pets. The more the merrier. And in case you are not yet aware, good organization and planning is what gets you a Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation.
When people say that moving is stressful – they are completely right. The amount of stress one person endures during the moving process is huge. So it comes as no surprise that our pets feel the same way, although they can’t express it with words. Pets suffer during moving, and they need to be taken care of just like any other living creature. No, reducing that NYC moving stress can be done easily enough. But let’s talk first about everything you will have to do when moving with pets.
Tips on getting a smooth Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation
Even though most places will extend the same courtesies to pets as they do to people, there are other things to consider. To being with, you need to get familiar with the regulations. Then, you need to plan out the packing and transportation to your new home. And finally, you need to walk your pet through the adjustment phase for your new home. It is our hope that the following advice will help both you and your animal companion make a stress-free move.
When moving to Brooklyn with pets, make sure to take care of all the documentation
Regardless of where you’re moving to, there are still laws that require you to possess certain documents, permits and certificates. If you are by any chance relocating to another country, check here for additional information. And even if you are staying in the US, you need to have all of the necessary info. You never know when and what you might need. So, what is it that you need to have when moving with pets? Read up:
Take the time to conduct proper research before moving with pets.
- Birth certificate is a must especially if it has clearly stated which type of check ups and vaccines does your pet have.
- Do your research and find out the requirements of every state so you wouldn’t be in trouble at the border. Some more info can be found online.
- In case your pet has a pedigree, make sure that you have the papers to act as a certificate.
- Customs Documentation – basically, you as an owner need to provide a copy of your passport, visa/work permit and the customs clearance form. This of course goes in case of international moves.
Before getting into your Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation, check out any restrictions in your new home.
In case you are planning to bring your little friend with you, make sure that you are moving inside a pet-friendly zone. Your landlord, as well as your neighbors, needs to be informed and give their consent before you move in with a pet. Local communities have a big say in this as well. And it makes a lot of difference what type of animal or even what breed your animal companion is. Avoid causing unnecessary problems for yourself and check out all of this in advance.
Explore your NYC neighborhood before moving with pets to find everything your pet might need
To ensure your Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation, you need to inform yourself about the laws regarding vaccination, leashes and even zoning of certain areas. Being the one moving into the neighborhood, you need to follow the rules of the community. In addition to this, you should check out all of the necessities your pet will require such as vet’s office, infirmary, pet shop etc.
Make sure that your pet is cared for during and after the move to NYC
Moving being chaotic and stressful as it is, no one would blame you if something slipped your mind. That is why texts like this are important – to prevent you from forgetting. You will need to meet the emotional needs of your pet. Always assume that they will be lost, confused and in need of attention and extra care while adjusting to the new environment. You might not have enough time to give it to them, but make sure they have enough of attention, if not from you than from other people.
Some additional precautionary measures for securing a Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation
Moving can be very dangerous, and pets can be collateral damage of the entire process. Still, there are tools you can use to protect your pets while the move is taking place:
Ensure that your pet can always be identified in case he/she gets lost.
- First things first, make sure your pet has an ID tag. It doesn’t have to be long, but it should be able to resist the weather and to have all of the necessary information. Information such as your pet’s name, your name and the address you are heading to. This way even if it does get lost, it would be much easier to find him.
- Another level of protection that enables you to track your pet would be a microchip. Today it is a very common practice for pets to have this so they wouldn’t get lost and they would be much easier to find.
- Have a picture of your pet and a short description always on hand. If there are any significant changes in the appearance of your, make sure you have the most recent picture.
Some parting summations
When the actual Brooklyn relocation day comes, and you have decided on moving with pets, then be prepared for it. You will not be doing anyone of favor if you don’t have anything prepared.
- Ensure that you have a way of transporting your pet without causing him any problems and depriving him of sun light and fresh air.
- Then, assign someone to be responsible for the animal. The sole job of that person would be to transport the animal safely to your new Brooklyn home.
- In the end, provide enough food and water so that your pet would be taken care of during the actual move. This way, there will be no need to worry and you can proceed with your Brooklyn pet-friendly relocation without any problems.