No matter what you might think, bigger is always better. So if you’ve come to that point when your business has expanded out of your current office space, you’re on a good path. Next step would be finding and securing a bigger office space. And what better HQ location than one that is both reliable and affordable – Brooklyn. However, unlike your run-of-the-day household relocation, commercial moving is a different playing field. Due to the amount of supplies and people being moved, it is far more complex and demanding. So if you were expecting your Brooklyn office relocation to be a piece of cake, think again. It will be an operation which will require investing a whole lot of time and money. But with a little help from a professional and experienced Brooklyn mover, you’ll get there. Continue reading “Brooklyn office relocation tutorial”
Hiring the right New York City office movers can make all the difference when it comes to relocating your business. Moving your office requires attention to detail, comprehensive planning, and impeccable reliability, and these are the attributes you should expect in the best office movers NYC has to offer.
But how do you go about finding the right commercial moving company for the job? Let’s take a look at some of the important things you should seek as you choose a professional office relocation company.
Packing your office can be a painstaking process, especially if you have a great deal of sensitive or fragile equipment and electronics. Professional packers can ensure that each piece of equipment is thoroughly and properly protected for the move. A professional office relocation company will have special packing for fragile equipment such as computers, servers, printers, and laboratory items and can even label the boxes according to the floor plan of your new office location.
Delivery of Packing Materials
If you prefer to have your own employees do the packing, you can order packing materials to be delivered to your office ahead of time. Professional packing materials, such as heavy duty boxes, make a big difference in the safety of your office supplies and equipment. Our sturdy, well-engineered boxes come in a variety of sizes so you can choose the most appropriate boxes for your office belongings. We can also provide pre-printed labels to help you with your office move.
When working with office movers NYC employers know that storage can be a necessity at times. What if your new office isn’t quite ready when you thought it would be? What if your new office requires repairs or painting before the furniture can be moved in? These problems are easily handled by a professional moving company that has its own storage facilities. When you work with office movers that have their own NYC storage facilities, your options are open and your bases are covered.
Nervous about getting everything safely from your old office to your new one? You don’t need to be nervous when you work with office movers NYC companies trust. Professional moving companies like ours have adequate insurance to guarantee the safety of your office furniture, equipment, and possessions.
Moving is all about details, and a professional moving company should be able to handle the small stuff. For example, they should take care of parking permits where necessary and handle important scheduling matters. The valuation of your inventory may be important for insurance purposes, and they should be able to determine how many movers and trucks are necessary for your office move. Make sure that the office movers you choose have a great track record when it comes to the details.
Most of all, when you are moving offices, make sure you choose a company with a reputation for high quality customer service. Moving can be stressful, and you’ll want to know that you can call on your movers to answer questions and address concerns. Look for office movers that are listed with the Better Business Bureau. Before you trust your office to them, they should be able to show you impressive testimonials and be affiliated with respected organizations such as AMSA, LIMSA, Red Ball International, and the New York State Movers and Warehousemen’s Association. Also, consider how you’re treated when you call for information. Does the moving company have a longstanding tradition of treating customers like family? They should. Ask for referrals, and follow up with due diligence calls.
When you’ve done your homework by finding out about these details, you can be sure your office move is in good hands. For more information about the best office movers NYC has to offer, contact us at U.Santini. 718-768-6778. Ask for Dan.
Business relocation is different than regular household moving. Businesses move to locations for a variety of reasons. Some businesses outgrow their offices or warehouses and simply need more space. Other businesses mature and need a different location that fits their new, changed nature. Tough economic times can prompt a move to a space that is more cost effective. Whatever the reason your professional office move in NYC, it’s important to plan well and decide when is the best time to move to your new location.
The best time for your office move is when it won’t interrupt your business operations. For most businesses, this is in the evenings or over a weekend. Do all you can to avoid infringing on your operation hours; this strategy will keep your office move cost-efficient and simple.
Office moves can be complicated. Let’s take a look at some of the things you can do to ease the transition and help get your employees back to work quickly and efficiently.
Set a Budget
It helps to know up front exactly how much you’re willing to spend on your move. With this figure available, you will be able to make decisions about what work you can hire out and what work you’ll need to handle yourself or delegate to employees.
Once you have your overall budget for your move, you can begin to break down this number into the areas where you’ll need the most help. For instance, if your company has a lot of sensitive electronics that need to be moved, you may need to spend more on packing materials than a company that large warehouse that stores goods that are already heavily packaged. The nature of your business will help you to decide how to divide your budget.
Create a Plan
Your office move will run more smoothly if you have a well-constructed plan that tells each of your employees what is going to happen and what their roles will be.
A comprehensive spreadsheet can explain the steps of your move as well as each person’s role in each of the steps. For example, your spreadsheet could instruct each person to pack up their personal belongings in their desks on Friday afternoon and take their boxes down to the first floor foyer. Specific instructions like these reduce questions and help you make sure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
Handle Address Changes Carefully
Your plan should include information about how to handle the company’s address change. Instruct the post office to start forwarding your mail on the day of the move, and make sure you have an employee stationed at the new office to answer phones and collect mail during the move, especially if your move extends into business hours.
Move When Your Infrastructure is Ready
As you plan for the timing of your office move, make sure you give yourself enough time to take care of basic infrastructure before you need your business to be up-and-running in its new location. For example, will you have enough time to get phone and Internet service running with your current plan?
If you regularly receive deliveries, will your vendors and delivery trucks be able to supply you with what you need at your new location? Have you ensured that your insurance on your new location will be ready by the date you intend to make the switch? These details often get overlooked in the excitement of a move, but they should be integral in your move planning.
Are you moving your office? If you’ve set your budget, created an accessible plan, handled your address change carefully, and made sure your infrastructure is ready at your new location, you may be ready! For additional help with your office move, or to learn about other moving and storage concerns in Brooklyn, contact us at U.Santini. We’ve been serving New York City since 1930, and we’re looking forward to serving you. We can assist you with a variety of services according to your unique needs. We can send our professional packing crew and have them packing your office in no time. Find out what a trusted and reputable moving company can do to make your office relocation an efficient and cost effective endeavor. Call us at 718-768-6778. Ask for Dan.
For more information about office moving – Download our FREE white paper Now!
Office relocation is usually more stressful than a residential move. A residential move is usually more flexible in terms of timing and unpacking schedule. Most individuals and families have some flexibility in their schedule and are willing to work with the moving company in terms of determining an acceptable moving date, start time, end time and unpacking. When you are moving your office you have much less choice in these maters. You want your office move to take place over the weekend, so that business will not be disturbed. You want the corporate relocation company to unpack everything and have all of your systems, telephone, computer networks, servers etc. to be up and running on Monday morning.
To make sure that these tasks happen in an efficient and cost effective manner you need to hire a trusted moving company that has expertise in office relocation in NYC.
How do you choose a good office relocation company? Ask the following questions before you hire your office movers:
- How long your company has been in this business?
- Do you specialize in corporate moves?
- How many commercial moves have you performed in the last six months?
- Does your quoted rate includes cost of packing materials?
- Do you own your own removal equipment like van and truck, or will you rent it?
- Do you provide insurance?
- Can you fax a certificate of insurance to both buildings?
- Do you provide IT and phone set up services?
- Are you registered with the BBB? and if so, what is your rating?
Five steps to organizing a great office move:
- Prepare and delegate – Planning is the most important part of an office move. You need to be up and running ASAP. Preferably, having everything back to normal in your new office on Monday morning. If you are back in business in business and making money on Monday morning than you can consider your move a success. The more preparation and planning you do in advance, the better chance you have in achieving this goal. The less time you spend organizing your new office, the more cost-efficient you will be for your company.In order to save time, make sure you are very familiar with your new location and offices. Ask the new building management company for time to come in with your team and measure the new space carefully. Make sure that all of your furniture and equipment actually fit in the new space. If you see that some of the equipment does not fit, than make plans not to move these pieces to your new office and purchase new furniture and equipment that fit ahead of time. Make an exact floor plan or the new seating arrangements and the new equipment hubs. Make sure every one of your employees has a copy of the the plan and know exactly where he/she are going to sit in the new space. Moving your offices is usually quite a complex ordeal. Don’t try to do everything yourself. Delegate duties and chores among your team members. IT people need to be in charge of moving their equipment and setting it up in your new location. Management roles need to help organize their departments and make sure that they are ready to perform their duties as quickly as possible after the move. Appoint an internal person to be in charge of the move and the communication with the moving company, building management etc.
- Inventory – It is very hard to keep track of all of the equipment and furniture in a medium or large office. The only way to control the flow of equipment to your new space and verify that everything got there, is to create an inventory of your office equipment. The best way to do so, is by giving inventory sheets to your employees and having each employee create his/her own inventory list. The team that coordinates the move should create an inventory list of general office equipment that does not belong to a specific person. IT personnel should create an inventory list of their equipment etc.
- Have enough packing materials – Packing your office is always time consuming and labor intensive. Make sure that you provide enough packing boxes, tapes, packing paper and bubble wrap to your employees. As a rule of thumb, ten boxes is probably enough per employee. Talk to your moving company before starting to pack and get their advice on how to pack different types of items properly. Make sure that your employees label all of their boxes properly. Labeled boxes are much easier to distribute and unpack in your new office. The following information is usually useful when you move to anew office: Label the outside of your moving boxes with the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Cubicle # or location in new space
- General Contents Description
- Dispose off unwanted items – You and your employees will find many unwanted, unneeded, expired items that your company do not need. Do not move these items to the new office…. This goes also for outdated IT equipment such as old printers, outdated copier machines or even old telephone systems. Moving is a great opportunity to introduce new and improved technology into your company. After determining the disposable items sell them by contacting companies that specialize in sales of old office equipment, donate them to non profit organization and get a tax exemption for the value of your donation, let employees take unwanted equipment home or send them to a reputable e-Cycling company. Do the same with unwanted office furniture.
- Make sure nothing gets left behind or overlooked:
- Are all the desks empty?
- Are all the supply cabinets cleared?
- Breakable items properly packed?
- Desk pads and chair pads labeled?
- File cabinets cleared?
- “Do Not Move” tags placed?
- Have a set of spare keys available.
- Wall items taken down?
- Make sure that your Internet connection is ready to go and that the phones and fax machines are working. The sooner you get back to work, the sooner you can continue working and making money
- Liquids drained from equipment?
- Make sure the electricity works.
- Make sure the bathrooms work.
- Computers and other machines disconnected?
- File drawers locked?
Professional moving companies such as U.Santini moving and storage have done this before many times and will be able to solve many of your issues before they become problems. Saving you time, money and making sure that you can continue your business uninterrupted and be effective form the first day you start work in your new location.
If you are looking for an NYC mover, a Brooklyn mover that with an A+ rating with the BBB, than don’t hesitate and call U.Santini Moving and storage.
Want to learn more on how to move your office more efficiently? Download our free white paper about this subject.