How to choose a Moving Company?
The BBB had more than 8000 complaints about moving companies back in 2009. The NY Times suggests that “Common complaints included final prices greater than original estimates, damaged or lost goods and, in the worst scenarios, movers who held belongings hostage until customers paid thousands of dollars.” Many things can go wrong when choosing a bad moving company but a few tricks can help you narrow down your search. While it doesn’t seem easy, with the right info you’ll sure choose a moving company that first you best and can see to all of your needs. You’ll need to do your research to get started, so you should first go and check online reviews to start looking for the Brooklyn movers that suit you best. After a short while, it will be easier to choose a moving company.
Choose a reliable moving company
Careful preparation and research will help you ensure that your move will be successful. Start by visiting forums and moving websites. Real experiences are invaluable when looking to choose a moving company. There are many other valuable sources of information online besides forums, and you shouldn’t abstain from using them all.
After doing all that start your actual selection process by asking for a written estimate from at least three reputable moving companies. The estimate should be based on an actual inspection of your household goods. Contact a moving company New York to work out all the details.
Remember your priorities when choosing a moving company
Remember your priorities when hiring a mover – If you hire a mover based solely on the cheapest price, you may be sacrificing other more important things, such as getting your possessions moved and delivered on time. And remember, movers, are required by law to deliver your goods for no more than ten percent above the price of a non-binding estimate. This is known as the 110 percent rule.
Ask for recommendations from neighbors, friends, and relatives regarding the mover. An experienced and satisfied customer is the best reference you can get for a moving company. Your estimate: Your estimator should provide you with a comprehensive estimate of the cost of your move. The estimate should include such factors as labor charges, trucks, packing materials, travel time, and valuation coverage/insurance.
What else do you need to know before you choose a moving company?
- The rates and charges apply.
- The mover’s liability for your belongings.
- How pickup and delivery will work.
- What claims protection do you have.
In this business, there are two types of estimates: a non-binding estimate which means your final price will be based on the actual amount of hours and materials used on the job; and a binding estimate which gives you a guaranteed price that won’t exceed the amount quoted.
A non-binding estimate is beneficial if:
- You are not exactly sure of all the items you are moving ahead of the move date.
- Your move will involve an unusual amount of details, like moving a lot of fine art or antiques that you don’t want to rush.
A binding estimate is preferable if:
- You want to guarantee your budget.
- You haven’t moved often, and you are not familiar with the moving process.
Whichever type of estimate you choose – and whatever mover you work with, here is some helpful advice to ensure yourself a good estimate/moving experience.
Get the best quality for your money
Don’t be tempted by the lowest price! It is easy for a salesperson to provide a low estimate for the job on a non-binding estimate. The client will have to pay the full price if the job takes longer. Don’t be fooled by this tactic and investigate the estimate to find out if it’s realistic. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! That’s why is usually a good idea to contact a few professional residential movers Brooklyn can offer to get a better idea.
- Get at least three estimates. This will allow you to make a fair, objective comparison.
- Compare apples to apples. Break down the elements of each mover’s estimate and make a detailed, realistic comparison of the parts, as well as the whole.
- Expect estimates to fall within a reasonable range of each other. A good estimate should be no higher – or lower – than 10 percent of the final cost of the move.
- Get reliable recommendations. We strongly suggest that you check out potential movers through objective sources like the Better Business Bureau, your state’s Department of Transportation, or the AMSA. You will recognize a reputable moving company when you see it’s listed with all three of these agencies, and they will have no claims registered against them.
- Ask a friend. We also suggest that you talk to your friends and co-workers. Get their unbiased opinions of movers they have worked with. Learn from their experiences. No one wants to recommend a mover to a friend – and have the move go badly. At Moishe’s, we are proud to say that a very large percentage of our new customers come to us from satisfied, past customers.
Final thoughts on choosing a moving company
Remember that you can always find great assistance and helpful advice online. Websites such as BBB can help you narrow down your search and choose a moving company. Eliminating options that received a lot of negative feedback will keep you safe from any unexpected events. It is much easier to make plans resulting in a successful relocation when you got the right information. Part of that information may also come from the company employees. When consulting with them, ask for solutions for any problems you may have. If they can come up with smart and quick ways to overcome the issue, you will know you can trust them.
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.