Recently, we have been getting a lot of questions about decluttering while using storage units effectively. On this occasion, we wanted to provide some answers based on our experiences. Most people struggle with these decisions. With the hectic nature of moving, organizing your home usually ends up on the back burner. As one of the reliable moving companies Brooklyn, we have had a chance to hear many homeowners about whether should they declutter vs storage in Brooklyn when relocating. Hence, here is a guide to be used before and after your move which will help you find the perfect balance and order at home.
Let’s look at some pros and cons of decluttering your home
There are many pros and cons to decluttering your home. On the one hand, it can be very liberating to get rid of items you no longer use or need. This can give you more space in your home and help you to feel less cluttered and overwhelmed. On the other hand, decluttering can be a lot of work, and it can be difficult to let go of things that may have sentimental value. If you are considering decluttering your home, it is important to weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a decision. Once you have decided to declutter, affordable movers Brooklyn offers you some tips and tricks that can make the process easier.
Tips for deciding if you should declutter
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in your home, it is time you consider what to store and what to throw. But how do you know if it’s really time to let go of some of your belongings? Here are a few tips to help you decide:
1. Take an inventory of your things. Go through each room and make a list of everything you own. This will help you see just how much stuff you have and whether it’s really necessary.
2. Consider your lifestyle. Do you really need all of those things? If your lifestyle has changed (for example, you’ve downsized or gone minimalistic), then it might be time to get rid of some items that no longer fit your lifestyle.
3. Think about your emotional attachment to things. We often hold onto things because they have sentimental value. But if those things are taking up valuable space in your home and causing clutter, it might be time to let them go.
4. Don’t be afraid to declutter gradually. You don’t have to get rid of everything at once! Start small and work your way up. You’ll feel better and less overwhelmed if you take it one step at a time.
Decluttering and storage shouldn’t exclude one another when you’re moving to Brooklyn
There are many benefits to using a storage unit, especially when you’re moving to a new place. It can help declutter your home and make the move less overwhelming. It can also give you a chance to downsize and get rid of things you don’t need. And, it can provide a place to store things that you want to keep but don’t have room for in your new place. self-storage is also a great way to protect your belongings from damage during the move. So, instead of stressing about declutter vs storage in Brooklyn learn to use them both as effectively as possible. During our on-site quotes, homeowners usually tell us: I still need to declutter more before moving house. And, while we do advise a thorough purge before a relocation, it shouldn’t mean getting rid of everything. There are always some mementos worth keeping. You will need to make decisions regarding what to store and what to throw out when moving to your NYC home. On the other hand, we also offer one of the best storage facilities Brooklyn available. So, you can store the precious items, you want to keep.
When moving, how to decide where to store items?
If you’re like most people, you probably have a lot of stuff. And when you move, you have to decide what to do with all of it. Should you pack it up and move it with you, or should you start looking for a cheap storage NYC so you can store your old stuff there and start fresh? There’s no right or wrong answer to this question. It all depends on your personal circumstances. If you’re moving across the country or across the world, it might not make sense to bring everything with you.
But if you’re just moving across town, it might be worth it to pack up your belongings and take them with you. Here are a few things to consider when making your decision:
- How much stuff do you have?
- How much will it cost to move your stuff?
- How attached are you to your belongings?
- How much time do you have to pack and move?
- Are there any items that won’t fit in your new home?
- Will your insurance cover your belongings during the move?
- What are the storage conditions at your new place?
- Do you need access to your belongings right away or can they be stored for some time?
Before your Brooklyn move starts you can do a bit of decluttering
Living in a home usually means gathering little knickknacks and other objects which simply fall through the cracks. They can be forgotten clothes or seasonal items. Even, some spare, useful things which you keep in case of an emergency. So, the first of our Brooklyn moving tips for today will be to prepare for a battle. Unless you’ve started preparing for your relocation months in advance you won’t have time to do proper and thorough decluttering. Hence, be prepared to make difficult decisions regarding beloved items and stick to them.
Here are some things you should know before setting out on your declutter vs storage in Brooklyn cleaning crusade
Let’s start! First of all:
- Four bins and a trashcan to declutter in a jiffy. When you start purging your Brooklyn home, we suggest using this method. Organize four bins or boxes. They should be: Storage, Donate, Keep, Repair. Also, one trash bag or bin for the unneeded items.
- Time is money – track it when decluttering. In our experience as a local Brooklyn moving company, homeowners lose track of time when they start their declutter or storage in Brooklyn crusade through stuff. So, find a way to track time. It can be with a playlist or with a timer, either is fine.
- Know the golden questions and use them with an iron fist. When you’re decluttering you’ll have to be honest with yourself. Do I love this? Do I use this? And, do I feel good owning it? Two out of three usually means storage. Three out of three direct you to the Keep bin. Well, you get the gist, right?
If you’re struggling with whether to choose declutter vs storage in Brooklyn, the dilemma ends up with storage as the winner.
As long-distance movers Brooklyn we’ve had a few customers who’ve had trouble with the volume of their belongings. They simply didn’t fit into the new home. So, with the declutter or storage in Brooklyn dilemma hanging over them, we offered a bit of advice. The infamous 18-month rule. Place the items you aren’t sure you’ll need into storage with the date written on the box. Set up a reminder to open the box in 18 months. If you haven’t opened it in the meantime, you likely don’t need these belongings.
Finally, remember that decluttering and storage is a constant dilemma for Brooklyn locals
New York is a city infamous for its small flats and big rents. So, while living in a Brooklyn apartment you likely won’t have the luxury to allow yourself to collect clutter again. This is why we advise our customers to remember their declutter vs storage in Brooklyn experience during a move. Fit a regular purge into your weekly routine and you should be completely clutter-free in no time. Remember to store the important things which you may need. And, if you’re struggling with the everyday clutter, here’s some advice:
- Identify the problem areas. There are surely a few spots where clutter gathers. It can be a table, a chair, or even a countertop. There, you should place some form of general storage which can be emptied at the end of the week. Think about a stylish box.
- Mementos are good, but not in excess. Remember what the ancient Greeks used to say? Meden again. Use your storage unit to keep some of your mementos. As for others, you should try and let them go. Think about giving them to a friend who’d value them.
Whatever decision you make, we at local movers Brooklyn are here to help you along the way. When you make a decision should you declutter vs storage in Brooklyn, we are here to offer you our services in both ways.