If you’re planning on living in New York City comfortably, aware that storage is going to probably be a necessity. So, for all of those of you who are moving to Brooklyn, investing in a good storage unit should be on the list of expenses. And, that’s where the question of how to find good quality and cheap storage New York comes in. We’ve prepared a short guide for you to help you decide just what type of a unit you need. Also, a few tips on how to recognize which is good cheap storage in Brooklyn that will be safe for your belongings. Let’s get started…
In order to find quality and cheap storage New York you are satisfied with, you will need to know your needs
We’ve mentioned that storage is pretty much a necessity for any recent expat to New York. Why? Well, if you’ve been cruising for apartments in the city recently, you likely know the answer to this already. Flats in NYC tend to be on the small side. Especially if you’re moving to Manhattan or another popular area. So, one of the Brooklyn moving tips we always give our clients is not purging too much and investing in a good storage facility. Why? Because you may need some of the things you’re eager to throw out right now. So, here are the common reasons for renting a unit, on top of your Brooklyn moving costs.
Storage units can be used when moving house to New York
After you’ve booked your move with good movers in Brooklyn, like U.Santini Moving and Storage, you will realize one thing. There is too much stuff. Storage is a great way to solve this problem. If you find out that your new apartment isn’t quite ready for you to move in, a storage unit is a perfect cure. You can simply leave all of your belongings there until it’s time to move in. And, if you own a few things too many, getting some cheap storage New York is also a good solution. It will be a safe way for your things to remain close by, in case you need them. Finally, there is the option where you’ve got too many belongings for one trip to the new home. Again, cheap storage in Brooklyn can solve this problem. So, now we’ve given you one purpose of a storing unit. Are you in this situation? If not, here’s another common use…
Quality and cheap storage New York is a great place to keep your things when redecorating
If you’re among those who aren’t moving house but simply making some minor changes, here’s a storage tip. When you’ve got workers in the house or are re-painting a few walls, you could damage your things by accident. To keep your valuable, fragile and precious items safe, we’d suggest inexpensive storage in New York. Also, in case you’re remodeling your entire Brooklyn home, it’s a great way to create the space for comfortable work. And when you’re done with the heavy lifting, our tips on how to organize a new house in NYC are going to help you easily get back to your routine.
When you’re embracing your inner minimalist, you’ll likely need a bit of storage in Brooklyn, too
Deciding what to store and what to throw out when downsizing is never easy. So, sometimes you will simply need to keep some of your things for a longer period of time in order to see how necessary they are in your life. This is when cheap storage New York comes into play. It’s quite easy to keep a box there for a low price in order to be sure that you do or don’t need the items inside. As we’ve mentioned in our guide to minimalism, 18 months is a perfect time frame to put on these containers. If you haven’t opened them until the date on the box, it’s safe to say that they aren’t necessary. Also, for those of you who’ve decided to downsize and earn a bit of money on the way, affordable storage in NY is a great option. You will be able to keep the items for sale safe and out of the way until they are purchased by somebody online.
And now we get to the point where you should decide which type of affordable storage units in NYC are for you…
When you’ve figured out why you need to rent some space in a storage facility, finding the perfect one will be easier. There are certainly plenty of options for warehousing in New York. So, here are a few amenities to ask yourself if you need before even searching for a good and cheap storage New York:
- Should this storage unit be climate controlled? New York City has plenty of warehouses which have the option of climate controlled spaces. So, if you’re storing something which can be damaged during the warmer days or excess water it may be a thing to consider. If you’re going to be storing some items before selling them online, it’s a good idea to find this type of a depository. After all, organic materials in furniture and clothing can be damaged by mold or mildew, creating a problem with the buyer later on.
- Do you need your warehouse space in New York to have electrical access? If you’re among the budding entrepreneurs who haven’t got their office space quite figured out yet, this may be the solution you need. Cheap storage New York is often more affordable than an office. Hence, developing your start-up from a well-organized depository with electrical access might just be for you. Though, be careful when searching for this type of low-cost storage in NYC. Some facilities may have rules against this type of activity.
- Finally, are you the type to figure things out at the odd hours of the night? If so, you may need to be searching for cheap storage New York with 24/7 access available.
And the common sizes of good storage units in New York are…
We’d like to point out that more than often these additional amenities will come at a higher price. But, they still might be worth it. Carefully calculate your budget and weigh your options before deciding that this is the kind of storage space which you need. And, in the end, you’ll need to choose the right size of the unit for your belongings. The common sizes are 5′ x 5′ (25 sq ft.), 5′ x 10′ (50 sq ft.), 10′ x 10′ (100 sq ft.), 10′ x 15′ (150 sq ft.) and 10′ x 20′ (200 sq ft.). In other words, you’ll be able to find cheap storage New York for anything from a closet to trucks or boats.
Now that you have your parameters set, how should you choose a quality storage unit in NYC…
If you’re moving house, you will likely be able to skip this step. After you hire the best movers in NYC for the job, they are likely to offer you quality and cheap storage New York for a fair price. So, you won’t need to go through the time-consuming process of choosing the best depository for you. However, it’s always good to be thorough. Hence, what should one pay attention to when choosing storage in NYC?
When looking for good quality and affordable storage in New York, don’t follow the rule of the thumb: close is the best
Sure, having your belongings near your home may seem like a good idea, but it’s a common mistake among homeowners. Simply, there may not be any quality warehouses in your area. They could be either too expensive or not good enough to hold the types of items you’re looking to store. Hence, we’d suggest spreading your search area far and wide. Start with at least three possible locations and then further narrow down the choice. If you have the time, we’d suggest going with five options in the beginning. In most cases, if you live in the center, you’ll be able to find a good space for a fair price on the outskirts of NYC.
The next step to getting the right storage space for you is looking at the reviews
When looking for the best restaurant to go to in a new town, you’re going to check it out online first, right? Well, finding the perfect and secure warehouse space for you is quite similar. If you’re going to be choosing storage with a moving company, you may want to give them a call. They can give you some references for you to check out before picking them for the job. And, if you’re simply looking up storage facilities, then you’ll need to do some more research. It’s a good idea to look at their Yelp reviews. Of course, always read through them with an open mind. One or two bad experiences are always in store. After all, the workers are only human and they aren’t perfect. If you notice more bad reviews than good, it’s a clear sign that the storage isn’t safe. Of course, calling the company and asking for a few references is another good idea. They should be able to provide more than a couple.
And finally, see if their gate and office hours are good for your schedule
First, allow us to tell you more about the difference between these two. Gate hours are the times when you can access your storage unit. And office ours are almost always shorter than these. If you have a problem or want to speak to someone from the company, these will be essential. So, be careful of those warehouses which only post their gate hours. Make sure that their office hours are longer than your work hours. Especially on the weekend, you will need them to be a tad longer. For example, quality and cheap storage units in NYC will work longer than 5 pm over the weekend.
And finally, when looking for the good and affordable storage space in NYC, learn the rules
In every warehouse you take a look at there will be items which you can and can’t store. Knowing this list will help you decide which is the perfect storage space for you. So, we’d advise checking their website for more information. Hence, we’ve prepared the usual items which you can to store in quality and cheap storage New York.
Every good storage facility should allow you to keep the following secure inside it:
- Electronics should be able to stay safe in this storage facility. Aside from furniture, people most commonly store electronic items. If you’re looking for a good storage space, you should be able to store them. When checking the reviews, look for any notes about the electronics getting damaged. This would be a red flag.
- Another common thing to store in a facility in NYC is furniture. If you’re downsizing when moving house, it is likely that you will be keeping an extra desk or wardrobe there. So, take a look at the reviews regarding this, as well. Wooden items need to be able to stay safe there. Hence, check out if the humidity will be a problem in the long run.
- Apparel storage is another common thing to be stored in New York. If there’s too much humidity, again, it could pose a problem. See if the storage unit will be able to keep it safe from mold before renting with a specific company.
- If you’re going to be storing a portion of your library, you need to book a good quality facility. Like clothes and furniture, books are sensitive to humidity. Find a dry storage unit which will be able to keep them safe from mold and mildew. If you’re going to be keeping your books in storage for a longer period of time, you should find good and cheap storage New York for them. While the choices might be vast, quality is essential here. Keep an eye out for any bad experiences when looking at the reviews.