A friend of mine used to say about any task that was put in front of him: You can have it done well, you can have it done quick, you can have it done cheap. Choose two out of the three…. I think nothing bring this sometime painful truth to light like organizing a last minute move.
When preparing for a time consuming, costly and difficult task of moving a house or an apartment, time is usually your alley. The more you prepare and organize your move, the easier and cheaper it will be to execute. You can check our blog post “How to save money on your move” for more details. It does not matter if you move across town or across country. Executing a last minute move is always hard and more expensive than a move you have time to plan for.
Don’t pack everything yourself
What to do if you find yourself having to organize a last minute move?
1. Outsource the time-consuming parts of your move – Even if you intend to move on your own and not hire a moving company, consider hiring packers, or a packing service for your move. Packing is time consuming and labor intensive. If you don’t have a lot of time on your hands, then you almost have no choice but to get professional packers to do it for you. The advantage of hiring a packing crew is that they come ready with all the necessary types of packing material, boxes, tape, etc.. They will take great care to pack all of your electronic and other valuables so that they will withstand the moving experience and will save you the most precious commodity in a last minute move situation – Time. If you can’t afford a full pack, than hire packers to pack your sensitive and breakable items. Hiring packers from a trusted moving and storage company like U. Santini Moving and storage will alleviate your stress about the most elusive resource in your situation – Time.
Hire professional packers!!!
2. Hire a professional and reliable moving company – If you have just a few days till the move, consider hiring a professional moving company to handle your move. The advantage of hiring a trusted and reputable moving company is that the movers are probably consummate professionals. They will pack and move your stuff from your old place at a much faster pace than you and your friends and family will ever be able to match. If you are moving at the last minute than chances are that you are experiencing a large change in your life. A new job offer, new school, new family commitments etc. This is probably the most appropriate time for you to use a professional and reliable moving service.
Hire a professional moving company
3. Do your research – Even with the limited time you have, you should not hire the first moving company you call, or the cheapest mover you can find. Research the moving companies you consider for the job and make sure that you get a written estimate for the move. Here is a moving company’s reputation checklist:
BBB Rating – Only move with companies that have an excellent BBB rating. Having a high grade with the BBB demonstrates that the company cares about its service and provides excellent customer service in case there are any issues with its service
DOT record – Check the company’s DOT record and verify that they are licensed to perform the move you need.
ICC Record – If you intend to move across country than check with the Interstate Commerce Commission and verify that the company has a satisfactory rating with this agency. A reliable long distance mover will make your cross country move much less stressful and will ensure that your goods will arrive at the destination when you are ready to receive them.
Online reviews – Check online reputation sources such as Yelp, the company’s Google+ page or Angie’s list. Companies with good ratings should be considered seriously as moving service providers.
Do your research
4. Pack the minimum you need yourself – You might need to live out of these boxes on the first few days in the new place. Label your boxes carefully and use boxes that are clean and appropriate for the task. It is better to have many light weight boxes than a few big, sturdy and heavy ones. Pack items such as books, clothes and essentials such as toiletries and a minimal number of kitchen items you will need on the trip, or when you get to your new place. Let the movers pack all the breakables, heavy items and electronic equipment you own.
Don’t pack anything which is:
- Flammable or explosive
Pack the bare minimum yourself…
5. Take half a day to arrange the move – Before you do anything else, research reputable moving companies and arrange for an in-house estimate with the ones you choose. Some moving companies will not be able to accommodate estimates or move on a very short notice. Big moving companies with a lot of overhead and internal bureaucracy are probably not right for moving in the last minute situation such as yours. Research and choose smaller, probably family owned moving companies with great reputation for efficient service and great customer service. Flexible professional and accommodating moving company is what you are looking for at this time.
Take some time to arrange for a successful move
About U. Santini moving and storage: