Guide to moving from NYC to Columbus OH
The time has come for the big move from NYC to Columbus. Columbus has a lot to offer for those tired of the insanity of NYC. Columbus OH is a little less expensive than the national average, so if you’re searching for a cheaper life cost, you’re on the right track. Cbus, as locals call it, is home to a lot of different job opportunities and they are just getting higher in number. So, moving from NYC to Columbus OH is the right way to go. That’s why our Brooklyn movers and storage specialists have prepared a comprehensive guide on how to move from one place to the other. So, let’s get into it!
About Columbus OH
Columbus is the state capital of Ohio and is located on the Scioto River. It is a fast-growing, major American city with a population of over 700k residents. The art scene in Columbus is adorned by the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, BalletMet, and the Opera Columbus. There are also many popular museums to explore and get to know the history of Columbus and the state of Ohio.
Also, Columbus offers a lot of outdoor recreation. There are three golfing courses as golf is highly popular in Columbus. During the cold winter months, skiing is something to try out and there are many trails to choose from. For those interested in nightlife, you’ll be happy to know that Columbus has a thriving nightlife. Along the High Street and in the Brewery District, you’re bound to find the perfect bar or dance club for you.
Making a plan for moving from NYC to Columbus OH
One of the most crucial steps of moving from one place to another is having a good plan. What should your plan consist of? We recommend setting a realistic timeline for all of the things you need to take care of before moving. This includes: packing, hiring one of the long-distance moving companies New York, preparing for your new home, etc.
The first thing you need to go over with yourself or your spouse and family is settling on which services you need. The obvious thing you will need is trusted movers to help you out with the relocation. But there are many additional services you can hire that might make moving easier. For example, packing and unpacking services, senior services if you’re moving with someone older, or just storage facilities NYC for the items you won’t be taking with you. This step is so crucial because you need to make preparations for all of these things well in advance.
Once you’ve hired and arranged all of the services you’ll be utilizing when moving from NYC to Columbus OH, it’s time to start the packing. Packing is something most people decide to handle on their own. First, we’d like to go over some of the supplies you will need:
- Moving boxes – You can purchase cardboard boxes, or even rent plastic ones. Another way to get boxes is to ask your local grocery stores if they have some leftover from production. Also, keep in mind that you will most likely need boxes of varying sizes.
- Packing tape – We recommend that you aren’t stingy when looking for packing tape. A lot of cheap packing tapes can break and tear easily. So, really invest in buying good quality packing tape! Also, if you think you’ve bought enough tape, get some more. You will be surprised how quickly it starts disappearing.
- Packing paper – Packing paper will come in handy when packing something fragile and breakable. It will provide some cushioning and stability inside the boxes. Pro tip: buy packing paper without ink on it, the ink could transfer onto your belongings and nobody wants that.
- Bubblewrap – For extra-fragile items, we recommend bubblewrap over packing paper. For glasses, ceramics, and porcelain items it is a must-have.
- Plastic wrap – Plastic wrap is useful in keeping items from moving. For example, you’ve packed up and secured your plates into boxes, but they could still move around and get grazed, or even break! That’s where plastic wrap comes in handy. Wrap it around the plates and secure them in place.
- Toolset – When moving your entire home, you have to move around bulky furniture as well. That’s why you will need a toolset to disassemble some of your furniture. Also, be careful to keep all of the screws in a safe place during transport.
- Markers or labels – When packing, something people don’t think of is labeling their boxes. If you go out of your way to label your moving boxes, you will be so thankful when the time comes for unpacking. Definitely worth the trouble.
Moving day tips
It’s moving day time! Moving day is usually very chaotic and you have a million things on your mind. And although we might be annoying mentioning lists and plans nonstop, the truth is there is no better way to keep on track and know exactly what you need. So, what are some of the things to pay attention to on the day you’re moving from NYC to Columbus OH?
- Rental truck – For those who are interested in the full DIY experience, you will need to rent a truck. But for those who would like to spare themselves the headache, some cheap movers NYC will take care of the trucks.
- Dollies – If you’re hiring movers, you won’t need to think of things like moving dollies. But they are extremely necessary for transporting your furniture from the home to the moving truck.
- Cancel utilities – You need to cancel all of the utilities you won’t need to pay for anymore. It’s important to remember!
Now that we’ve covered moving from NYC to Columbus OH, good luck on your journey!
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.