I really suck at making decisions. Each tiny decision that I need to make takes forever, and it usually ends up being wrong. The process of moving is overwhelming even for normal people, let alone the indecisive ones. One of the worst choices you will be faced with is which is better: hiring movers vs DIY move.
There is an incredible amount of factors leading towards this dilemma. The most common factor in this decision is the question: How big of a budget do you have? Other factors may include the distance towards the new home, will you need storage in Brooklyn, the complexity of the move and last but not least – the way you see things. Two different people – two different opinions. Your case will be no different. We’re not here to tell you which choice is better. We are here to give the cons and pros of each choice and help you in making your decision!
The clash between hiring movers vs DIY move has numerous debates about it. Honestly, my absolutely biased opinion is that you should always go pro. Unless you are an experienced mover, which most of us aren’t, your belongings should be handled by professionals.
Hiring Movers vs DIY Move – Moving Yourself
A DIY move is a bold one. I can’t say that I never recommend it because that would mean that I underestimate your abilities. Needless to say, I really do not. I just cannot hold back a certain amount of skepticism when it comes to moving yourself. There are upsides to it that I will mention. However, it will almost never be my go-to choice.
DIY Move – Pros
- One of the largest advantages of doing a move yourself is the fact that you have total control over your move. You do it in your own time, whenever you want in however many takes you like. Also, you chose the truck and the moving supplies, and you carry the boxes with as much care as you want. Furthermore, you decide when the move starts and then it ends. Lastly, you get to decide in which order the truck is being loaded, so that you avoid dumping boxes in rooms they don’t belong in.
- Packing is entirely up to you. This means that, just like in the previous section, you have absolute control. Movers will want everything boxes up, sealed and ready to go. When you do this yourself, you don’t necessarily have to pack every oddly shaped thing in a box. You can pack as little as you want or as much as you want. It is entirely up to you.
- The last pro I wish to mention is the fact that you’re saving cash. If you’re moving on a tight budget, maybe you won’t have much of a choice. Regardless of the magnitude of the move, hiring professional moving companies will always be expensive. This is why renting a moving truck and doing everything else yourself could save you thousands of dollars. You could get the U-Haul’s moving truck that can pack up to five bedrooms for 40 bucks.
Hiring Movers – Pros
- The best part about this is that you will be leaving all the heavy duty lifting to professionals. I mean, this is why you paid for their services in the first place. If you were able to find a legit moving company, you really don’t have to worry about picking up any heavy couches or carrying boxes down flights of stairs. No muscles will be strained. And no friends will be begged to help out with lifting stuff. You can just focus on keeping your kids or pets safe. Or you could just kick back and relax.
- If you hired a legitimate, experienced Brooklyn moving company to do your move for you rest assured that they will be twice as effective as you would be on your own. You would take your time and use logic, however, they will try to finish as fast as they could being as effective as they can. They will have all the appropriate supplies and equipment on spot, and they will know how to use it best.
- Most importantly, hiring professional services will result in minimizing stress. You will be there, coordinating them and answering some questions but other than that you can relax and have them do their magic. The first best benefit is the amount of time that will be saved. Also, you won’t have to maneuver a huge moving truck down a highway. They are not all that easy to drive.
Hiring Movers vs DIY Move – Cons
Each of the two has their cons. However, I always like to emphasize the positives. In comparison, both the upsides and downsides are equally potent for the two. Usually, you will have cons of one of the choices become the pros for the other.
For instance, one of the largest cons of doing a move yourself is the heavy lifting you have to do. This is why the pro for hiring professional services is the fact that they will do all the heavy lifting for you. But the largest con of doing a move yourself, and a deal breaker for me, is the fact that you might end up ruining all of your furniture. In most cases, we have not experienced movers and as such we might make some mistakes that professionals wouldn’t. I would be devastated if I broke our couch by dropping it down the stairs. Or my grandma’s cupboard. For that, I’d rather cough up more money and not risk losing anything than save a few bucks and then regret it for 30 years. Plus, if you’re low on cash you can always find cheap movers in Brooklyn.
So to sum it up, in my book, hiring movers vs DIY move is a victory for the professionals. Save time, don’t stress out and play it safe is what my advice to you is.