How to file a complaint against movers
One of the most exciting and positive events in one’s life is relocating home. As all things have two sides, moving is also one of them. In many cases moving is a wonderful experience. On the other hand, there are some things in the whole process of moving that might cause stress. Putting all the efforts in organizing a move is very important. Having a good moving plan, finding moving boxes and packing items are just some of the tasks. Nevertheless, some things one cannot predict and this usually refers to the work of the moving companies. And your satisfaction with their services. As this is a common thing, in this article we will try to give you advice on how to file a complaint against movers.
First and foremost
The process of moving is a big bite, and should not be taken for granted. That is the reason why you should gather all the possible information about the relocation process. And not only about all the possible moving costs, but about the inconveniences that might occur. These setbacks usually happen on the side of the moving company, but if also often is the case that the fault lies on our end for not reading carefully the policies and contracts. Similarly, some of us just do not devote too much time and importance in finding a reliable mover. Good preparation is a crucial part of every good moving. However, as the is always a chance that some things might go wrong for whatever reason, we should be ready to find a way to resolve them.
Choosing the right moving company
When talking about our own mistakes, the biggest one we can make in moving is on the process of choosing a moving company. Safety of your possessions is more important than the price when it comes to relocation. You can save money but some possessions to whom you are attached emotionally, you will not be able to have back. Damages are highly likely to occur in cases when moving long-distance. In order to avoid any unpleasant situations, we strongly recommend you to hire reliable long distance movers Brooklyn. It would be almost impossible to have any bad experiences with professionals showing great dedication to customers. Their knowledge and extensive experience in the business are a guarantee that you will get the high-quality of services.
Reasons why you should want to file a complaint against movers
Complaining about the lack of quality services from a moving company to your friends will not change anything. A formal complaint is what might help you if you end up having to deal with such an unpleasant scenario. Below are several legit reasons when you should file a complaint against movers:
Movers are late on the time set for taking your possessions or your delivery is late to the destination point. This can happen because of the weather conditions or traffic jams. So first check with your moving company what is happening. Explain to them that, reasonably, you have inconvenience by late delivery. You should intend to get compensation for the lost time and extra expenses.
Damages of your possessions
Check all your boxes and belongings as soon as they deliver them to your home for any damages. Do not fill the Bill of Lading if you see that something is missing or that something has damages. File a complaint to your moving company immediately. If you have insurance of your goods, the process for complaining will be easier.
Overcharging and bypassing the contract is the biggest reason to file a complaint against movers
Before you select a moving company try to get the information about all the details. Some of the companies have different scamming techniques to charge you extra money. Most common situations when they are demanding more money is unexpected difficulties during the transport. The worst scenario is that will not deliver your items unless you pay more money.
Do not be satisfied with the bad services and non-professional behavior. If you see that movers handle your items carelessly, report that. The other situation when you should react is when they are causing minor or not so minor damages to your items. Also, you can make a complaint if the movers are not providing proper protection to your home. And if you believe that moving items can cause damages. Showing disrespect or rudeness to you is one more thing to file a complaint. Also, prolonging, on purpose, the time of moving is an attempt to charge you more.
What are the steps to follow to file a complaint against movers?
In order to resolve the issue with your moving company, these are the steps that you should follow.
- File a complaint with your moving company – Contact the company and try to resolve the issue directly. Provide as much evidence as possible, including photos, documentation etc. If you receive a negative response, follow other steps.
- Write and post your review for the moving company– Moving reviews are very important in choosing the company. Use this opportunity to explain your situation and rate the movers accordingly.
- Put your complaint on movingscam.com – You can also register your complaint on this website so that everyone can be aware of the companies that one should avoid.
- File a complaint against movers with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) – In case your moving company is not reacting to your inquiries, file a complaint against them with the FMSCA. This procedure will require the company to acknowledge your claim and up to 120 days to resolve the issue. You can also log a complaint with the Department of Transportation (DOT).
Few more steps that will help you to file a complaint against movers
- File a moving claim with American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) – One more way to claim your rights as a customer is by contacting the AMSA. Visit their website and submit a complaint about your moving company. They will ask you to fill in the Request for Arbitration Form, in case you have evidence that your belongings have damages after the moving.
- Better Business Bureau – Inform BBB about the issue, and they will contact the moving company within the next 48 hours with an inquiry. The company will have 14 days to respond to your claim. It is good to know that BBB resolves claims against moving companies in about a month.
- Put your case to the small claims court – Before putting your claim in the small court, have in mind that fees might be big. Even bigger than the compensation that you might get from your movers. But, if the results of other formal complaints do not satisfy you, this one is also an option.
Everything can be resolved
As you can see, even if it happens you encounter a bad experience with the moving companies there is always a way to resolve it. We hope that this article helped you in getting familiar with the existing procedures on how to file a complaint against movers. But let not this be something that will despair you, take it just as a precaution. Let your’s moving to Brooklyn be the start of something great. You will be thrilled how many things this place can provide. We wish you all the best.
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.