It takes a lot of time to plan and perform a move. You should be well organized and plan in advance. However, things don’t always go as planned. If you lack the time and you are a couple of days short you will have to pack and move in a hurry. Your savior in this situation will be a good and reliable moving company. You should hire movers and rent cheap storage Brooklyn has to offer is a must. This way everything will be prepared for the moving process to begin. So these last minute moves can be hectic. You will need all the tips and advice you can get. We will help you prepare when you need to pack and move in a hurry.
Tips on how to pack and move in a hurry
So first of all arm yourself with a bunch of boxes. You can ask your movers where to buy quality moving boxes in Brooklyn, or you can buy them from your movers if you want to pack by yourself. Even with the little time you have you still need a plan of action. Now is the right time to make a moving checklist. Some of the things to do should include
- Get rid of all of the chemicals and toxic substances. Mover will not load them on the truck
- Eat or donate all of the food from your fridge
- Put all of your documents in one box. Don’t forget to label the box with IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
- Get rid of the things you don’t need while packing. Set aside enough clothes for the move and a day or two after the move. This goes for you and your family.
- Check your house once again before you permanently leave on moving day.
Contact USPS and change your address
If you want to avoid any postal conundrums you should change your address at the post office. You will avoid the problem of your mail still getting to your soon old address. You should do this some ten to twelve days before the moving day. They are going to need that period of time to process your request. Moreover, you should inform your banks, subscriptions and credit card companies. Don’t forget to inform your important business clients as well. You should also transfer your utility services to your new address. You should inform them about the transfer a few weeks before the move. Call them right before the moving day to check if everything is in order. You will need to get services from a cable company after you move. It is a smart idea to schedule a meeting with them in advance.
Gather your moving supplies
It goes without saying that you will need a hell of a lot of boxes for when you move. Instead of buying them you can get used boxes. You can ask around at your local grocery store or liquor store. If you have a lot of heavy items you can rent some plastic moving bins as well. Prepare other packing supplies as well. Arm yourself with markers and packing tape. You can also improvise with your packing supplies and still pack like a boss. This is also a great way to stay on a budget and save money and time.
- You can pack things other than clothes in your suitcases. Pack shoes, books and even electronics there.
- Use garbage bags to pack clothes that are on hangers. You will unpack them with ease
- Use clean socks to pack your glasses. This will surely prevent breakage
- Linens and towels will definitely prove useful. You can use them to wrap mirrors, picture frames. In addition, you can put them at the bottom of moving boxes to secure everything.
- All of the bags in your house can be put to good use. You can pack cables, screws, remotes and other trinkets.
How to deal with packing when you have to pack and move in a hurry
Even though you have to pack and move in a hurry you still need to have a system. A solid plan is very important. First of all, you should pack room by room. If you just pack in different rooms at the same time things will get chaotic. Instead, you should start from one room and proceed to the next one when everything is packed. When the room is empty you can move on. Use this trick when planning your move and things should go more smoothly.
Divide your things into three categories
When you start packing you will be surrounded by mountains of things. Make some order by dividing them into three main categories
Decide into which of these three categories each item in your home belongs. Pack the things you need first. Pack the toss pile in garbage bags and get rid of them and pack the donation pile last. Maybe you will change your mind. If you want to earn some extra money you might even organize a yard sale. And remember, the more things you get rid of the more money you will save. The more things you have the more your moving company will charge.
Don’t forget to pack the essentials box
You will see that a move can be hectic. All of your things will be packed and almost inaccessible. That is why it’s important to pack an essentials box. An essentials box will be a lifesaver because all of the things you will need will be accessible. You will not have to go through the boxes. There are some important things you should pack
- Clean clothes
- Clean sheets and beddings
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush
- Clean towels
- Phone and computer chargers
- Comfortable shoes and clean socks
These are just some of the essentials you should pack. When it comes to the moving day tips you should listen to the advice of your movers. First of all, you should give them clear access to all of the rooms. Another important thing is to make sure that all of the boxes are properly labeled. If you follow our tips and tricks you will pack and move in a hurry easily.