A lot of people have moved from the capital of Ireland to the Brooklyn borough of the city that never sleeps in the past two centuries. And, while before it was the consequence of a foul fate, today it is in the spirit of following one’s ambition and building a carrier in the states. If you are considering a move from Dublin to Brooklyn you have come to the right place. This article is dedicated to serving as a guide for those who seek to cross the Atlantic and inhabit the famous borough of Brooklyn. For what you can expect in NYC, and how to deal with the move, you can read all right here! It is not a long read, but it is substantive! Let us begin with what to expect in Brooklyn.
What will a move from Dublin to Brooklyn look like
With its more than 2,6 million people, the borough of Brooklyn has twice the population of the Dublin urban area, not to mention the size difference when compared to the whole of New York City. Therefore, you can expect life in an urban jungle.
New York is a melting pot of ideas, cultures, and economic interests, as the existence of corporate movers NYC can testify to. You will find almost any language of earth spoken on its street, and almost every carrier path open to you. On Saint Patrick’s Day you might even feel like you never left!
Prepare for the move with care
Be sure to start planning at least 8 weeks before you start the relocation. The main things you should figure out before the move is which of the many international moving companies NYC will you be using, the paperwork, storage and packing options, downsizing as well as utilities and security in both of the apartments.
Storage and packing material
If you are going to require moving and storage NYC, you are going a long way and you need to make sure that packing is done right for both purposes. First, let’s talk about packing. When you are moving internationally, you want packing to be top-notch. There are a lot of free moving supplies you can find, but when you are shipping your stuff to the other continent, try to be picky. Packing should be sturdy and waterproof to keep your possessions safe on their long voyage. You should also try to pack items into their appropriate boxes. TV into its original box, fridge etc. If you are moving electronics, be sure to disassemble them and clean them. The same goes for furniture.
If you are considering storage, you have a few main types to choose from.
- Indoor – You can, for example, store your items during the move from Dublin to Brooklyn in one of the many indoor storage facilities, where units are found inside the building.
- Outdoor – There are also outside options. Here you can access with a car, but it is harder to go there during rough weather. Also, climate-controlled units are less likely…
- Climate controlled – Climate control is a great way to battle moisture and mold in the storage. These are essential if you are looking for a long-distance relocation.
- Special use – Finally, if you need storage for cars, wines, etc, you can look up offerings of special-use storage.
There is plenty of paperwork to be addressed if you are moving from Dublin to Brooklyn via moving services Brooklyn. This is because you are, obviously, doing an international relocation. Those require not only a lot more logistical capabilities but also more paperwork due to the change of borders. Therefore, you should prepare for such circumstances. The main thing you will be needing is an immigrant visa.
There are, generally speaking, three ways to get that visa, though none are easy.
- If you are considering a move from Dublin to Brooklyn, you might have a prospective employer. These can sponsor your visa. That way they prove that you have professional qualifications that are needed in the United States.
- You might also have a family member in the United States, which is not too rare for Irish men and women due to a strong Irish community, in New York especially. If you have a spouse, adult child, brother, or sister with a US sponsorship or a resident alien card, they can sponsor your visa.
- Finally, you can also win the lottery, as the US grants around 55 000 visas per year. You can apply for this lottery at the website of the State Department.
For any other questions regarding documents and other paperwork, contact the United States Embassy. Also, be sure to have the number and address of the Irish embassy.
When moving to a New York City borough, you might want to consider downsizing. New York apartments come in all different shapes and sizes. However, more often than not, they are smaller than what you are used to. Therefore, downsizing before moving from Dublin to New York is a step you might wish to take. Not only will downsizing help with the relocation, but it will also make it cheaper. As we said previously, international relations are neither simple nor cheap, yet you can lower the price by moving lighter.
If you are having trouble thinking about what you can do to downsize, here are four things you can do. First and foremost, if you are not willing to part from any of your items long term, you can store them. Renting a storage unit in Brooklyn is a fairly simple thing to do. We mentioned all the types of storage already, so let us not dwell on that. The second option you have is to sell the items before you move. That way you are actually making the moving budget a little bit bigger while at the same time making the cost of the move a little bit smaller.