Moving is a complex process and one of the top stressors in our lives. It happens all the time, but yet we still find it exhausting and it’s never a pleasant experience. When relocating to New York, City you have to be aware that there is a wide range of different moving companies operating in The Big Apple. You have to be brave enough and choose only one company based on their website or adds. However, this can be a tricky task and you need to be very careful. Moving scams are happening very frequently, and you could be just one more victim. U. Santini Moving and Storage is a moving company NYC that you can trust. We are just about to reveal to you the most important questions to ask a mover before hiring them.
Before you let the moving company do a walk-through of your home, ask them these questions on time, so you don’t encounter any surprises. Ask them everything you want to know while still having the movers on the phone. This is your chance to interview the mover. You must find out if they are going to meet your needs and make any compromises. Asking them these questions about their company will also help you assess whether your mover is dependable and to ensure you don’t hire a miscreant moving company.
Where to begin?
The first step in your moving process is choosing a trustworthy moving company. You will save a lot of time, money and nerves if you manage to find and hire reliable movers. Many moving companies claim to offer the best services and deals. But, can you actually believe them? Can you really be sure in their honesty? They all offer a high-quality work and have a professional attitude. Each company will do everything to ensure you that your satisfaction and a stress-free move is 100 % guaranteed. They will make you think that you would never regret spending the money if you hire them. Unfortunately, not all the movers can conduct a smooth and successful relocation. Some of the companies just don’t have the required know-how: the experience, the proper equipment or the right approach.
Before asking anything more specific and negotiating the conditions of your moving contract, you must make sure you are not dealing with a broker. Who are the moving brokers? They are sales companies that coordinate your move. But, they are actually selling the job to the actual moving professionals. The only thing they do is providing communication in your moving process for a lot of money. Besides, this indirect communication often causes miscalculations and conflicts. You have to be extremely careful. If you don’t identify a broker on time, you could lose much money and get into a lot of troubles.
The most important questions to ask a mover before choosing them to hire
1. Background check
- Experience -Your first question should be concerning the period of time that specific moving company has been in business. If the company has only been a few years operating, that means they don’t have enough experience in the moving business. However, a long history doesn’t necessarily mean moving services of high quality. But, movers who have been doing their job for a decade or more, have gained a lot of experience and have a lot of former customers. If this is the case, you should immediately start searching for another one. U. Santini is the mover with years of experience and satisfied clients.
- Licenses and Credentials – Check if they have licensure that is required for doing their business. See if the mover is registered with the New York City Department of Transportation. Another crucial proof of a movers reliability and professionalism is a membership in the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can check the U.S. DOT number to ensure a legal and safe relocation.
2. Services they offer
- Additional insurance – Other important questions to ask a mover are about insurance they offer. The good moving company will provide insurance at an additional cost. Generally, the insurance is based on weight. That is why you will need to estimate the value of your personal possessions. The insurance policy will provide if your belongings will arrive in one piece or broken. Standard insurance coverage is 60 cents per pound. This is usually not enough to cover the true value of the damaged thing.
- The necessary equipment –
When talking about important questions to ask a mover, it’s a good idea to check if they have the necessary tools and equipment. It’s also important not only the size of their moving truck but also lifting equipment or other special tools and machines required for a successful move. Also, you have to know the exact date when your items will arrive at your new NYC home. For local moves NYC, it shouldn’t take a long time to transport your things. However, it may take that long for long-distance and international moves. Just be sure when to expect your possessions.
- Packing/unpacking services – Packing is a very important aspect of the relocation. Most moving companies provide special full-service packing. There are boxes and containers for packing a different kind of items. Check if the company you chose is offering these specially designed boxes. The moving professional should give you a hand when it comes to packing. If, however, you choose to pack yourself, be sure to wrap everything tightly and carefully. It’s a great and useful idea to label all of your boxes and to mark the outside of all boxes with a short list of their contents. Also, you can identify the room that will be their final destination.
- Storage services – When it comes to other important questions to ask a mover, one of them is a possibility of storage. If you require a storage unit, ask the moving company if they provide storage services. Usually, larger companies offer this service that can save you time and money. The truck will drop off your items for you and you won’t have problems with a lack of space in your new NYC home. Also, it’s not a bad idea to check out the storage facility before bringing your stuff.