How to move your exotic pet to New York without breaking the law
So, you’ve decided to move to New York. However, somewhere along this stressful journey of picking the perfect relocation specialists and renting the right flat, you’ve also realized that you’ll be moving with a pet. Though your pet doesn’t really fall in the standard-issue dog, cat, or hamster lineup, does it? Well, that’s alright. We all love our oddballs. Yes, even if they fall among the exotic pet kind. So, if you’ve been scratching your head about how to move your exotic pet to New York without breaking the law, we’ve got some ideas that will help you move your pet without breaking the law. In addition to this, we will explore the importance of having reliable moving professionals such as U.Santini Moving & Storage to assist you.
Moving with an exotic pet – Start with the necessary documentation
Before we go into the article describing ways of transporting and moving with a few most popular exotic pets in New York, let us first take a look at some of the things you need to do before you begin your move. Regardless of the type of your exotic pet, each state has its own set of rules and regulations and you need to do a lot of research. So, before you move, check the laws in your area. Contact the city, county, or homeowners’ association where you can get additional information. Make sure you gather the paperwork needed to prove that your exotic pet is safe, vaccinated, and healthy. Aside from contacting your city and local government there, it is also important that you discuss the details of your moving process with your residential movers Brooklyn.
Transporting your exotic pet – How to do it properly
Since the majority of moving companies do not relocate any kind of pets, you will have to do the transportation on your own. You will, therefore, need a good plan for the move. The main goal here is to efficiently and quickly relocate your exotic pet from point A to point B without causing too much stress. Regardless of the way in which you are transporting your pet, stock up on essentials like food and water ahead of time. Furthermore, if you are traveling with your pet by air, rail, bus, or boat, make sure you check with the individual carrier on rules and regulations when moving to Brooklyn.
The most popular species of exotic pets and tips for their relocation to NYC
We need to apologize in advance, as there are simply one too many exotic pet species to cover for a single article. If your oddball best friend isn’t mentioned in the list below, feel free to check out the list of prohibited animals in New York City before relocating. And, if you’re planning on befriending an exotic breed after you move into your new home, there are plenty of shops that sell unusual breeds in the city. Let’s talk about the list of most popular exotic species in NYC. Also, some tips on moving them to a new home…
At the top of the list of legal pets in NYC are boa constrictors
While these snakes are legal to own in the city, they practically stepping on the line of legality. If you aren’t aware, most constrictor snakes are banned in the Big Apple. Do you plan to move your exotic pet to New York without breaking the law? Then, it shouldn’t be any form of a python, for example. Boa constrictors are the biggest species allowed in the city. They are safe as pets for you to own. You’ve got a snake smaller than these? They’re safe to bring to New York with you. Here are some tips for a trip with a snake on board:
- Do not lose your pet snake – they will get upset by the ruckus of the move and seek a warm and dark place to hide. This is a thing to especially watch out for if you’re using a packing service for your relocation to NYC.
- Make a carrier for the reptile – a large Tupperware is the best, so it won’t be squished.
- Where I go, my snake goes – don’t leave your pet in the back of the car/cab.
- No stress – make sure that your snake isn’t too stressed by the move to New York. It could lash out, which can be dangerous. Keep it in a separate room, or close to yourself, during the loading and unloading.
- Don’t overfeed – no food about five days before the move. Also, let your snake settle into the new flat. It will be a repeat of the routine from when you bought it. Give your reptile pet some water before the trip. And again, upon arrival in New York.
If you want to own and move your exotic pet to New York legally, Fennec Fox is the way to go
One rare breed of a wild animal that is allowed as a pet in the Big Apple is the Fennec fox. If you own one, you already know that there is no way for this oddball creature to harm anyone. They are as playful as dogs. But, they behave a tad more independently, like cats. If you’re going to move your exotic pet to New York, don’t worry. You won’t be breaking any laws with a Fennec. But, before you set your date for moving into your new NYC flat, here are some tips on traveling with a fox:
- The vet comes first – pay a visit to the local one before moving to New York. Make sure that your fox is healthy. Also, get advice from your vet on making a move with your Fennec in different seasons.
- Get the carrier ready – despite the protests. Your fox won’t be too happy about being in a kennel. But, you should keep it away from the movers during (un)loading.
- Don’t let it out of your sight – you know how they love to get into things. Losing a Fennec fox in the moving boxes just before relocation day is a recipe for a disaster. If you’re packing yourself, be sure to keep the space where the open containers are on lockdown. You will have a limited time to get ready for your relocation to NY, and your pet could slow you down.
If you’re relocating your bearded dragon to New York, you aren’t breaking the law
If you want to move your exotic pet to New York without breaking the law, you’re in luck. One of the few species of lizards that is legal in almost every state in the USA is precisely this one. Sure, you may need to obtain a license in order to move your exotic pet to New York legally. To be certain, we would suggest that you check with the vet. Or, with the state, if you call the state line. However, the task of moving a beardie isn’t too difficult itself. Here are some tips on how to prepare it for relocation:
- Your lizard will get stressed – if it’s a long journey, especially. Prepare for a change in its eating habits. Also, a switch of attitude. After a while, this should go back to normal. If it doesn’t be sure to visit your new vet in New York as soon as possible.
- Prepare a container – not too big and comfortably padded. Your bearded dragon should be able to lie down. Also, you shouldn’t jostle it too much during the relocation. A pillowcase is usually a great solution if you’re not sure what to put on the bottom of the container. When you settle into your new place in the Big Apple, be sure to set up its tank as soon as possible. Odd behavior shouldn’t last more than a week.
- Take care of the temperature – bring an accurate thermometer. A bearded dragon is extremely sensitive to temperature and sound. Be sure to have ice on hand in case it gets too hot in the car if you’re making a summer move to New York. Also, you should listen to music by headphones, to lessen further stress.
Relocate safely and successfully with the assistance of reliable movers in Brooklyn
Although a moving company does not move pets, it is still important to have a reliable one by your side in order to successfully move the rest of your inventory. While you organize your exotic pet transportation, the movers you hire will handle the rest of your moving tasks. By hiring reliable movers New York, you are ensuring a safe relocation. Furthermore, you will get to choose from a wide range of different, quality moving services. With reliable and professional movers by your side, you will have enough time and energy to focus on your exotic pet and organize its transportation while the movers handle the rest.
Frequently Asked Questions
At U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we've earned our reputation through honesty and transparency. We're here to address all your questions and provide peace of mind as you choose our moving services in Brooklyn.
What are your working hours?
We are open from Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM–5 PM, but feel free to contact us through our contact form anytime. We'll get back to you ASAP.
Does U.Santini Moving & Storage offer insurance?
Absolutely! We offer various types of insurance to protect your belongings, including a full replacement option. The cost depends on how much your things are worth and the deductible you choose.
How soon should I schedule my move?
It's a good idea to book your moving company at least 8 weeks before your move. If you're moving during the holidays or in the summer, it's best to schedule it 12 weeks ahead. But if your move is between September and May, you can often book movers with just 2 weeks' notice. The key is to secure your moving crew as soon as you have all the details about your move.
Do you provide packing supplies?
Yes, we do. Along with the necessary boxes and packing materials for your move, we offer various 'Saver' packages tailored to the size of your home. If you don't use all the boxes you purchased, you can return them to our team after the move, and we'll refund the unused portion.
What type of storage do you offer?
At U. Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn, we offer complete storage solutions in climate-controlled units. Our units are monitored 24/7 to keep your belongings safe, whether you need short-term or long-term storage. We even provide storage options for very short durations, including as little as 24 hours.