Preparing and packing for a move is a pretty challenging task on its own. But, moving sensitive equipment can make the whole process a bit more complicated. Nothing to worry about though, since we’ve prepared the perfect tips and tricks for moving sensitive equipment! U.Santini Moving & Storage Brooklyn is here for you every step of the way and offers a helping hand in anything you may need. So, let’s get down to it!
No matter if you’re relocating your home or your office, computers, and computer parts are some of the more delicate equipment to transport. Our Brooklyn movers among many other professionals can help you out in the safe transportation of your electronics. What is an added plus is that not only will our movers transport the equipment from one address to the other, they will unpack it and assemble it. This is an amazing way to not worry about your electronics and if you’ll know how to assemble each and every cable. Just leave it to the pros!
You really need to be careful who you trust with moving your sensitive equipment. Some people can be professionals in most fields, yet still not know how to do this. Always ask the moving companies if they have specialized moving services. Inexperienced movers who are assuring you they know what they’re doing are not deserving of your time. When it comes to fragile equipment, you don’t have the time for pleasantries! Be sure to hire experienced professionals.
Plan your move in detail
A good rule of thumb is to have a detailed plan ready and even set in motion as you’re doing all these various tasks. By now, you’ve chosen who will handle your sensitive equipment with care and keep it safe. So, what should the plan of the move look like?
We advise you have a timeline of when which part of the move should be taken care of. Since we’re only talking about moving sensitive equipment, we’ll keep the focus on that. You want to book specialized moving services in advance and settle on a date with them. If you’re moving your office a good idea might be to first and foremost move unnecessary furniture and then turn to your computers, etc. You need them to work so you can schedule moving them a day before everything else is moved. And this way you and your employees can return to work quickly!
If you’re moving during the holidays and don’t have to work, or you’re moving some other kind of sensitive equipment, the same rules apply. Think up a timeline, choose trusted movers, and get the job done! Once everything is done, you’ll be thankful to yourself that you chose the easiest and most straightforward moving method. For bigger amounts of equipment, our New York storage facilities are at your disposal!
How to prepare your electronics for the move?
Although professionals know what they are doing, you need to take some extra measures to keep all of your information safe. It is highly unlikely that anything will happen to your computers, but we have a few suggestions that will ease your mind.
Here are a few cautionary steps to follow while moving sensitive equipment:
- Copy the information from your computers onto a hard drive, or just save some of the most important files. It would be incredibly inconvenient if you lost all of your work.
- Be sure to sync up any new purchases of equipment. If the equipment you’re moving is arriving on, say, Friday, be sure that anything new you purchased also arrives on Friday. This way you’ll immediately be prepared to set up everything and your work can run smoothly.
- Do a deep clean of the new space you’re renting, as well as the old space. It’s common courtesy to leave everything spotless after your move.
- If your movers aren’t offering assembling services, take photos of how the cables need to be connected. Saving a manual can also be useful in this instance.
- Consider purchasing insurance. If the equipment you’re moving is of a certain value where you will feel consequences if it gets damaged, insurance is the way to go! Not only will it keep you calm, but you’ll know that your items are safe.
- Consider storage space. If anything should go awry during your move, you’ll feel much better knowing you have a place to store all of your equipment.
How to pack sensitive equipment when moving?
More often than not, packing is something you can leave to your movers. But, it is wise to be extra cautious and take a few steps to ensure the absolute safety of your items. For additional advice, check out this WikiHow article.
- Take the batteries out. This goes for remotes mostly. This will stop any kind of overheating and leaking.
- Charge anything that needs to be charged. You’ll want to be able to use anything you need immediately upon arrival.
- Remove any CDs, DVDs, or anything of that kind.
- Remove the cartridges from your printers. Again, spilling is at risk and it would be unfortunate that your printer gets damaged.
- Group together cables. Fold them neatly and secure them. No breakage allowed!
For all the bigger items, your movers have got you covered. If moving costs NYC are something that’s worrying you, be sure to check out our guide on how to make calculations. Everything can be done in a budget-friendly way.
Be transparent and good luck!
When moving sensitive equipment, it’s important that you stay completely transparent with your movers. If something isn’t the way you imagined it, more often than not it can be accommodated to your needs. If for some reason this isn’t the case, then you know you need to search for a different moving company. Don’t settle for service you don’t like. Stay true to your needs and good luck!