Office relocation is usually more stressful than a residential move. A residential move is usually more flexible in terms of timing and unpacking schedule. Most individuals and families have some flexibility in their schedule and are willing to work with the moving company in terms of determining an acceptable moving date, start time, end time and unpacking. When you are moving your office you have much less choice in these maters. You want your office move to take place over the weekend, so that business will not be disturbed. You want the corporate relocation company to unpack everything and have all of your systems, telephone, computer networks, servers etc. to be up and running on Monday morning.
To make sure that these tasks happen in an efficient and cost effective manner you need to hire a trusted moving company that has expertise in office relocation in NYC.
How do you choose a good office relocation company? Ask the following questions before you hire your office movers:
- How long your company has been in this business?
- Do you specialize in corporate moves?
- How many commercial moves have you performed in the last six months?
- Does your quoted rate includes cost of packing materials?
- Do you own your own removal equipment like van and truck, or will you rent it?
- Do you provide insurance?
- Can you fax a certificate of insurance to both buildings?
- Do you provide IT and phone set up services?
- Are you registered with the BBB? and if so, what is your rating?
Five steps to organizing a great office move:
- Prepare and delegate – Planning is the most important part of an office move. You need to be up and running ASAP. Preferably, having everything back to normal in your new office on Monday morning. If you are back in business in business and making money on Monday morning than you can consider your move a success. The more preparation and planning you do in advance, the better chance you have in achieving this goal. The less time you spend organizing your new office, the more cost-efficient you will be for your company.In order to save time, make sure you are very familiar with your new location and offices. Ask the new building management company for time to come in with your team and measure the new space carefully. Make sure that all of your furniture and equipment actually fit in the new space. If you see that some of the equipment does not fit, than make plans not to move these pieces to your new office and purchase new furniture and equipment that fit ahead of time. Make an exact floor plan or the new seating arrangements and the new equipment hubs. Make sure every one of your employees has a copy of the the plan and know exactly where he/she are going to sit in the new space. Moving your offices is usually quite a complex ordeal. Don’t try to do everything yourself. Delegate duties and chores among your team members. IT people need to be in charge of moving their equipment and setting it up in your new location. Management roles need to help organize their departments and make sure that they are ready to perform their duties as quickly as possible after the move. Appoint an internal person to be in charge of the move and the communication with the moving company, building management etc.
- Inventory – It is very hard to keep track of all of the equipment and furniture in a medium or large office. The only way to control the flow of equipment to your new space and verify that everything got there, is to create an inventory of your office equipment. The best way to do so, is by giving inventory sheets to your employees and having each employee create his/her own inventory list. The team that coordinates the move should create an inventory list of general office equipment that does not belong to a specific person. IT personnel should create an inventory list of their equipment etc.
- Have enough packing materials – Packing your office is always time consuming and labor intensive. Make sure that you provide enough packing boxes, tapes, packing paper and bubble wrap to your employees. As a rule of thumb, ten boxes is probably enough per employee. Talk to your moving company before starting to pack and get their advice on how to pack different types of items properly. Make sure that your employees label all of their boxes properly. Labeled boxes are much easier to distribute and unpack in your new office. The following information is usually useful when you move to anew office: Label the outside of your moving boxes with the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Cubicle # or location in new space
- General Contents Description
- Dispose off unwanted items – You and your employees will find many unwanted, unneeded, expired items that your company do not need. Do not move these items to the new office…. This goes also for outdated IT equipment such as old printers, outdated copier machines or even old telephone systems. Moving is a great opportunity to introduce new and improved technology into your company. After determining the disposable items sell them by contacting companies that specialize in sales of old office equipment, donate them to non profit organization and get a tax exemption for the value of your donation, let employees take unwanted equipment home or send them to a reputable e-Cycling company. Do the same with unwanted office furniture.
- Make sure nothing gets left behind or overlooked:
- Are all the desks empty?
- Are all the supply cabinets cleared?
- Breakable items properly packed?
- Desk pads and chair pads labeled?
- File cabinets cleared?
- “Do Not Move” tags placed?
- Have a set of spare keys available.
- Wall items taken down?
- Make sure that your Internet connection is ready to go and that the phones and fax machines are working. The sooner you get back to work, the sooner you can continue working and making money
- Liquids drained from equipment?
- Make sure the electricity works.
- Make sure the bathrooms work.
- Computers and other machines disconnected?
- File drawers locked?
Professional moving companies such as U.Santini moving and storage have done this before many times and will be able to solve many of your issues before they become problems. Saving you time, money and making sure that you can continue your business uninterrupted and be effective form the first day you start work in your new location.
If you are looking for an NYC mover, a Brooklyn mover that with an A+ rating with the BBB, than don’t hesitate and call U.Santini Moving and storage.
Want to learn more on how to move your office more efficiently? Download our free white paper about this subject.