Relocation is not cheap – fact. Relocation to New York is definitely not cheap – fact. There is no way to reduce costs of moving to NYC – wrong. Negotiating with Brooklyn movers is not possible – wrong. It all comes down to variables and how you control the outcome, which you can in fact do. All you need to remember is that you as the client hold all the cards – it all comes to how you will play the game. The name of the game is Brooklyn moving negotiation, and in order to win it, you have to learn it. Learn how to play and learn how to read the signs in the game and we guarantee that you will be able to get the best price possible for your relocation to Kings County.
Brooklyn moving negotiation guidelines
We’ve already established that relocating to Brooklyn is no cheap endeavor, but that it can be cheaper. Now, you might take a stance that it is simple bargaining, but it is not. It is simple negotiation tactics and taking advantage of certain factors that might bring the relocation estimate down:
- Season of the year – prices vary depending on the season
- Quantity of items being relocated – weight and size determining the overall haul and price
- Moving method – full service moving/DIY relocation/friends helping out
- Moving distance – mileage plays an important factor when discussing moving estimate
- Extra services – packing material and services, insurance…
If you want to put your negotiating skills to the test, you should know that moving companies’ rates are usually not firmly established and that difficult to influence. Besides, you have nothing to lose if you try to lower the price with some Brooklyn moving negotiation.
Tactics for identifying fraudulent Brooklyn movers during negotiation
Getting a reasonable price is great – but so is making sure that you are getting quality service. That is why you need to consider the Brooklyn professional mover you are looking to hire for your relocation. A good rating is formed by happy and satisfied customers which means positive reviews. This is why you need to read some reviews first.
Stay away from extremely low moving quotes and suspicious relocation companies. Conduct a background check on every moving company so as to identify their business goals and policy. Unusually low moving estimate should be considered as one of several warning signs of a moving scam.
Research the competition before entering Brooklyn moving negotiation
Hiring a top-rated Brooklyn relocation company can help you reduce inevitable stress that comes with relocation. But what happens when you find the perfect company but the price is a bit out of your range?
Yes, moving can be quite the expense, but the good news is that moving estimates will vary from one moving company to the other (especially in Brooklyn) even when your moving parameters remain the same. And this basically means that before you take a stand in your Brooklyn moving negotiation, you need to get to know what you are negotiating for..
To work out the best deal for a moving service, start by getting and comparing at least 3 estimates from licensed and accredited professional moving companies in Brooklyn. Request in-house estimates from moving experts. This is done to guarantee that the written estimate you receive will be as close to the final bill as possible. Keep in mind that the more estimates you have from movers, the larger your bargaining power is. Also, creating a relationship with the moving representative will give you a better chance to lower the total price.
Question any potential extra charges during negotiation with the mover
While you’re getting the moving estimates, address the following to eliminate potential last-minute moving company fees and charges:
- Get familiar with the extra services that you will need from your mover. The majority of those charges for additional services are negotiable. So go through each one with the moving company and see whether you really need to use them. Your mover will be motivated to lower their prices if you give up on any of the offered extra services.
- Make a decision when it comes to packing/unpacking – will it come to you or your movers. Best case scenario – a beneficial joint effort where you will pack up all your stuff except large furniture, heavy appliances and specialty items. This will save you money while still ensuring ultimate protection for your most prized possessions.
- Examine any additional charges that could increase the moving expenses even more. You might not believe the unplanned fees your Brooklyn mover could charge you for. From extra fees for loading/unloading the moving truck to disassembling/re-assembling some of your furniture pieces. Make sure to negotiate these terms with the moving company you choose before the actual moving day.
Brooklyn moving negotiation time – make it of pay full price for it
Can you negotiate with moving companies? Absolutely! Once you gathered moving quotes from different reputable Brooklyn moving companies, time to take advantage of those same quotes. The goal – to get the best deal possible for yourself. Here are some tactical scenarios to help you understand and negotiate a lower price with your moving company.
Aiming for competitive costs
Under normal circumstances, the majority of moving companies would rather lower the price they have quoted you than to lose your business to their competitors. Unless you’re right in the middle of the moving season, use this as a bargaining chip.
By this point, you should already have a mover that you’ve got your eye on hiring. If that professional NYC moving company has offered you the best price, then you have little to worry about. And if not, contact the company to inform them that you were offered a lower price by their competitors. Give them your lowest bid and ask them if they would be willing price-match or outbid the competitors.
Going all in – no risk, no gain
It never hurts to negotiate with movers simply because you’ve got nothing to lose. The key to a successful Brooklyn moving negotiation is to reach an arrangement that will be beneficial to both parties. You need to be open to certain compromises and flexible about some of the relocation terms (booking early, choosing a good moving date). In that case there won’t be a single reason for the relocation company not to meet you half-way.
Playing the indecisive card
In case the mover is unwilling to lower its original price, try negotiating again in a day or two. The reason? You may contact another moving representative who may be more willing to accept your terms. Or maybe he might at least offer you a price discount that will be closer to your wishes.
Just remember that even when if cannot get the price down – the quality of the service is more important. Better to pay an average price for quality moving rather than get the lowest possible quote and risk having a disastrous moving experience.