Moving is a lot of work to do, so you will probably need some help in performing this difficult process. Be sure to hire the best movers NYC has and make your move go smoothly. Your movers will have a lot of work to do. They also have a big responsibility. All of your possessions and the success of the move are in their hands. Even if you hire the best moving company New York can offer, there are still some things you can do to help your movers. We are going to give you some tips and tricks on how to help your movers help you. From unplugging all of the electronics, controlling your dog and your kids, to preparing some refreshments, little things will mean a lot to your movers.
Do these things to help your movers
You probably have a lot of electronics in your home. We live in the world of technology, so this is completely normal. Your TV, Xbox, iPad, computer, home appliances have cords that can be a nightmare for your movers. That is when they are plugged in. So be sure to unplug all of the cords and cables. Your movers can spend time doing this for you, but is that really what you are paying them to do? If you want to save their time and your money don’t forget to do this. Here is an extra tip. Put the cables in zip bags and label them. This is going to save you a lot of time.
Take everything off the walls
It might seem like the last thing on your mind, but be sure to leave your walls completely baren. You should take everything off of every single wall. You can find a corner where you can put all of the paintings, photos. Don’t forget the clocks, shelves and other decorative items on your walls. This will save your movers a bunch of precious time. This is a great way to help your movers. And here is an extra tip. Put all of the nails and pins in a bag. You can save them and use them to install all of these items on the walls of your new home.
Get your bed move ready
Your bed should be ready for the move before your movers get into your house. You should strip your mattress. Your bed sheets should be folded and ready for the move. When your movers come they will just put everything in boxes. You can also do this to help your movers. Prepare a box for your bedding next to your bed. When you wake up in the morning you can just put your begging and bed sheets in the box. You don’t even have to get out of your pajamas.
Defrost your freezer
It is very important for you to defrost and empty your freezer before the move. Just imagine the dire consequences of not doing so. The smell of spoilt food and the water from the freezer getting your other possessions wet is a scene from a moving nightmare. Here is an extra tip on how to defrost your freezer quickly. Pour some hot water into a bowl and place it into the deep freeze. This will make the ice melt much faster. Leave your fridge open and put a bath towel underneath the fridge opening. This will make the instant defrosting you need possible.
Dissasemble your shelves
Putting all of the shelves apart is going to help you help you movers save precious time. This is practical for so many reasons. Shelves are full of things that only you know where to put. After you disassemble your wall and garage shelves put the pieces together on one bunch. Try tying the pieces together with twine. This way you will find it easier to assemble the shelves in your new home.
Set aside the things you will need
You don’t want to keep your movers waiting while you are looking for something you might need during the move. Be sure to put aside all of the important things you know you will need in a separate box. Also, put your valuables into this box. You can never be too careful, right? Moreover, you should always know where things are. You will accomplish this by color labeling the boxes. For example, you can designate a color to every room and put those color onto the boxes. Of course, it is a good idea to write a short description of the content of the boxes. With this color coding, you will help your movers immensely. This is a good example of how you should treat your movers.
Additional advice on how to help your movers
There are also some other ways to make the whole process easier for a group of people helping you to move:
- You should know that movers can not transport gas, so be sure to empty your mowers and all items that have gas tanks like leaf blowers and snow blowers. Another thing that is not allowed on a moving truck is propane tanks.
- If you have bicycles that need to be moved you could consider removing the front wheels. This will make it easier to load the bikes and you will save space in the moving truck.
- Show the movers where the washroom is, both in your old and your new home. They might want to wash their hands after moving some dusty items.
- Make sure nothing is blocking their way. The entrance and exit zone of your house should be clear. This will help your movers and make everything go smoothly.
- If you have little kids or pets keep them in check. Make sure that they don’t get into the movers’ way. You will avoid potential unwanted accidents.
- You can offer your movers some refreshments. This is not something you have to do. But, they sure will appreciate a cold drink on a hot day or any beverage after lifting your heavy furniture. This is a small gesture but it will surely mean a lot to your reliable NYC residential movers.