The time for your move to New York is getting closer and you’ve begun panicking about packing? That’s perfectly natural. This time, we won’t preach to you. We won’t talk about how you need to purge your belongings before you begin placing things into boxes. Instead, we’ll talk a little bit about a common mistake of many first-time movers. Your essentials bag is as its name says: vital to your move. You should know how to pack it wisely. Then, you will be able to relocate without too much stress. So, let’s talk a little bit about what your NYC essentials bag for the move should be like.
What is an NYC essentials bag?
This is one of the items which every person should have on their NYC moving checklist. It can be any form of container which you are comfortable with filled with everything you will need during the relocation as well as on the first day in your new home. In our experience, we’d suggest a large backpack or bag if you’re moving by plane. Don’t forget, this box should be able to contain items which you can’t survive without. Thus, comes another name for the NYC essential bag: the survival box.
Your essentials box for the move to New York should include:
It’s great that you now know what this box is. But, there is a bigger question at hand. What exactly should I put into this container? It is often difficult to make this choice. What are the most important things to you? So, think of this bag as a two-day carry-on for a trip of sorts. You can also consider packing services available in Brooklyn. Now, here are our tips:
Make sure that you have some extra at hand. It’s important that you pack some comfortable clothing into your NYC essentials bag. Don’t worry about fashion, you will have plenty of time for that once you arrive in the city. How many clothes you need depends solely on the season. During the summer, your clothes will probably take up much less space than during the winter. However, whichever season it is, make sure that you do not overpack with unnecessary clothing items.
Pack your own mini bathroom on the move. We’d suggest packing everything from sunblock to your everyday cosmetics here. This usually includes the toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, and shower gel among other things. Don’t forget hand sanitizer for the journey, either! You can put all of these in your essentials bag if they can fit. If you’re renting a truck or traveling by car behind your reliable movers from New York, a large box can also do the trick.
You never know. It’s better to prevent than cure. So, pack a first-aid kit with you for the journey. You never know who will be careless. Also, we’d suggest that you buy include any medication which you are taking in this kit. You can’t be certain that you will be near a bodega or a convenience store once you arrive at New York.
This includes your most important electronic devices and their chargers! We’ve already talked a bit about how you should pack your electronics for the move. The most important thing is not to forget the chargers for your portable gadgets. Laptops, tablets, phones, and other gadgets all need their chargers. And, consider getting batteries if you will need them.
Documentation and other important papers
This item on the checklist should include everything. So, from your passport and ID and driver’s license to the papers about moving. It is best to include all the important documents into a single binder and keep it close in your NYC essentials bag. Some of the things you may keep in your wallet, along with your credit cards and important phone contacts. Also, it is a good idea to have a pen and paper near you in case you need to write something important down.
Do not forget your kids’ changes of clothes, toys, some snacks in case they get hungry, or anything else that they may need on the first day in your new home in Brooklyn. Of course, if your kids’ things are too big to fit in your NYC essentials bag for the move, consider bringing another bag just for their stuff.
If you own any pets, you need to remember to pack essential stuff for them too. Their food, toilets, medication, or similar things can also be a part of your essential bag.
Food and kitchen stuff which you could pack into your survival box for New York
The items which we’ve covered above are some things that you will definitely pack. However, there are other things that can often be overlooked. So, here are our top picks for items that you will definitely not regret packing in your NYC essentials bag for the move:
- Snacks – optional, but could be handy. Packing a couple of your favorite treats for the road is good. But, you don’t need to stop there. You can also make preparations for the first meal in your new home. Some pasta and canned sauce are usually a perfect choice.
- Cooking equipment – if you are planning to make your first meals as soon as you arrive, you will need some dishes. Plan what you are going to cook and prepare all the necessary things for it in your bag. Pots and pans are just a couple of things that you may need as soon as you arrive.
- Beverages – are also a good idea. If you’re not fond of stopping at different gas stations and 7-Elevens, this is the solution. Pack some water and juice for your family for the road. If you’re a coffee person, consider getting a few packets of instant.
- Scissors or pocketknife – for opening your boxes. After your NYC movers unload everything from the truck into your new place, you will need this. If you’ve already got a plan for organizing your new home in New York, unpacking will be much easier.
- Plate and cutlery for each member of the family – will be useful on the first day in your new home. You will probably need dishes to eat with and out of as soon as you move.
- Flashlight – for emergencies! The one that you probably have on your smartphone can be used instead, but better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is not necessarily a kitchen item, but it can be useful in any room of the house if the light does not work.
Bathroom stuff which you can include in your bag
Bathroom items and toiletries are also pretty useful when you are packing and can come in handy. International moving companies NYC has another short list of things that people tend to forget. Some of those can be difficult to fit in your bag after you pack the more important items. So, these are in case you have some free space left or you know that you will need them.
- Toilet paper – or tissues. This is one of the things which people often forget to take with them when moving. Don’t forget to pack some. It is useful both for the road to NYC and your first day there.
- Shower curtain – don’t forget this one! A shower curtain is another one of the most common things which people forget when relocating.
- Basic cleaning supplies – if you’ve moved before, you know why. Most apartments tend to be ready for cleaning when you move into them. Some of them may be perfectly clean, but that is usually not the case. You will probably need to do some scrubbing as soon as you move in. So, you should prepare and pack some cleaning supplies in your NYC essentials bag.
When should an NYC essentials bag for the move be packed?
Now that we’ve gotten through the list of items that you should consider packing into your NYC essentials bag, let’s talk about when to pack it. Most people tend to make a mistake and end up stuffing things into their survival box in a hurry. So, we’d suggest that you take your time. Have a list of things for the essentials box. Plan on packing it along with everything else. Make sure that you are supporting the survival box for your NYC relocation with the rest of the packing, too. Place the items you will need to use first, like blankets and sheets, on the top of your parcels. This way, once you arrive at your new home in Brooklyn you will be able to access them easily. As you’re going through the rooms and packing fill the survival box. By the time you reach the items such as snacks and beverages, both your home and essentials bag will be ready to go!
Packing your NYC essentials bag for the move may be one of the first things that you do and seemingly a small part of your move. However, packing this bag properly can seriously make things easier for you and your family. Organization and planning are half the work that you need to put in. So, start preparing on time and get the moving process going!